When should you prune indoor gardenias?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen that people advise pruning in May/June for gardenias but those are for outdoor gardenias, mine are the cape Jasmine variety half are positioned on a west window, and the other half on a south facing window

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
If you have woody stems then I'd personally think of Pruning that out to encourage more prolific blooming, but generally pruning is advised after they finish flowering Indoors or out I believe. I'm sure others here will give you more tips

they bloom best on new growth(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I agree with @Daren . I always prune my gardenia after flowering. Sometimes it blooms repeatedly on young branches. This also allows the plant to retain a compact shape for several years. My gardenia also grows on the window.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trim the plant for shape. For outdoor potted plants, envision the ideal height of the bush the following year and prune it to three-quarters of that size. Cut back limbs to just above a lateral branch to encourage dense foliage. Prune off leggy branches to create a harmonious bush.

Ask a Question