Are you supposed to prune streptocarpus when they're done flowering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
My cryatal ice streptocarpus finished flowering in January and I've reduced it's watering, should I have cut back the leaves or anything like that? If so Is it too late now?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did you take any cuttings or did you chuck all the leaves? You only remove the old and yellowed leaves and split them into new plants when too congested.

According to them, you deadhead the flowers, only water from the bottom or dunk it in water for a few seconds and only water when soil is dry to the touch. You could feed potash in liquid form from April onward.

Hope they are useful!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Crystal series are supposed to flower all year round. So feed properly and it will flower again. Make sure no water comes into contact with the crown and never overwater please and they will reward you.

http://www.dibleys.com/dibleys-shop/The_All_Year_Flowering__Crystal__Series.html

Many thanks for the reply I will give those a watch now, I only trimmed off the brown tips of some leaves but I let the rest of them grow now they're quite long and take up alot of space so I was wondering if I could trim them down so that I could fit more of them beside each other, I came across this article which says you can cut back the entire plant to a few inches but I couldn't find anything else online to corroborate it -

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/trim-streptocarpus-44454.html

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha! Yes, I know what you mean! But you are in AUSTRALIA! The leaves are very slim and very long and if leaves overlap, they become trouble. Yellowed or brown bits are natural. But you can take cuttings. They will flower all year round ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha! Yes, I know what you mean! But you are in AUSTRALIA! The leaves are very slim and very long and if leaves overlap, they become trouble. Yellowed or brown bits are natural. But you can take cuttings. They will flower all year round ..

Lol, so do you know if you can actually trim down the leaves like it says in that article or would that kill it?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When it's winter, some leaves will turn brown/yellow at the tips. It's natural. You could trim them. Cutting the leaves half way, a half or all together won't kill the plant. That's how they propagate them.

Some use perlite for the whole procedure or use a transparent egg holder. Only small size perlite though or you will never get the leaves standing up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
When it's winter, some leaves will turn brown/yellow at the tips. It's natural. You could trim them. Cutting the leaves half way, a half or all together won't kill the plant. That's how they propagate them.

Some use perlite for the whole procedure or use a transparent egg holder. Only small size perlite though or you will never get the leaves standing up.

Ah ok great I'll trim it down now to make room and try propogating the cuttings like those videos, thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom

I took cuttings and put them in seed trays and covered with cling film but in the videos they don't say how much sunlight they need is it just the same as a standard streptocarpus? Or do they need more / less

Ask a Question