Camillia still moist soil

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hello wish to ask i have both my camellias still moist after watering them nearly 15 days ago!! They are situated in internal yard no sun or drafts/wind....you think i can water them or no becauce one of them is opening flowers!! Any help pls??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would research this problem a little. Depending on where you live, it may be common to have moist soil for long periods of time. Camellias love evenly moist soil as this is what their environment is like in the southeast of the US, Asia (tropics all the way to Japan) and some areas in Europe. Their roots are typically found in the top 10 cms of the soil so, if you insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 10 cms and the soil feels dry or almost dry, you can water them. But if the soil feels moist or soggy, do not water yet (keep checking the soil though).

However, if the soil is soggy for long periods of time, you may need to figure out why, especially if the soil is not soggy in other nearby places that are similar to this internal yard. The lack of sun and wind makes it more difficult for the water to evaporate. The type of soil - high clay content or soils with a shallow depth to bedrock- may help cause this.

The good news is that, for moist soils, this simply allows for more time in between waterings but, there is a difference between moist and soggy. If you think the soil is soggy, I would also investigate to make sure there is not a water leak from water pipes that are causing the soil to be soggy. An unscientific test for soggy soil may go like this... insert two fingers in the soil to a depth of 20 cm and extract some soil; press the soil with both fingers and observe if you see water droplets forming. If you observe water droplets, it may be too soggy. Since it is an internal yard, water may have difficulty evaporating and exiting.

Some people here with this problem will contact a landscape company to install a French drain that leads excess water out somewhere. If you contact a landscape company, they may dig a 30 cm wide by a 30 cm deep hole, fill it with water and let it sit to observe how long it takes for water to percolate down. Then they will suggest options. They may also check any automated watering systems in this internal yard.

If you cannot resolve the problem and are concerned for the camellias, consider growing the camellias in containers so the roots do not develop root rot. Or switch to more water-tolerant plants. Anaerobic soils (soil that lack much oxygen due to too much water) can develop bacteria and may be smelly.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I would research this problem a little. Depending on where you live, it may be common to have moist soil for long periods of time. Camellias love evenly moist soil as this is what their environment is like in the southeast of the US, Asia (tropics all the way to Japan) and some areas in Europe. Their roots are typically found in the top 10 cms of the soil so, if you insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 10 cms and the soil feels dry or almost dry, you can water them. But if the soil feels moist or soggy, do not water yet (keep checking the soil though).

However, if the soil is soggy for long periods of time, you may need to figure out why, especially if the soil is not soggy in other nearby places that are similar to this internal yard. The lack of sun and wind makes it more difficult for the water to evaporate. The type of soil - high clay content or soils with a shallow depth to bedrock- may help cause this.

The good news is that, for moist soils, this simply allows for more time in between waterings but, there is a difference between moist and soggy. If you think the soil is soggy, I would also investigate to make sure there is not a water leak from water pipes that are causing the soil to be soggy. An unscientific test for soggy soil may go like this... insert two fingers in the soil to a depth of 20 cm and extract some soil; press the soil with both fingers and observe if you see water droplets forming. If you observe water droplets, it may be too soggy. Since it is an internal yard, water may have difficulty evaporating and exiting.

Some people here with this problem will contact a landscape company to install a French drain that leads excess water out somewhere. If you contact a landscape company, they may dig a 30 cm wide by a 30 cm deep hole, fill it with water and let it sit to observe how long it takes for water to percolate down. Then they will suggest options. They may also check any automated watering systems in this internal yard.

If you cannot resolve the problem and are concerned for the camellias, consider growing the camellias in containers so the roots do not develop root rot. Or switch to more water-tolerant plants. Anaerobic soils (soil that lack much oxygen due to too much water) can develop bacteria and may be smelly.
No they are not planted in ground they are in containers...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Check to see if there is enough drainage, you don`t want any plants sitting in a puddle or they will rot. Definitely do not add more water if the plants are already wet.

What is your weather like at the moment in Malta? If your camellias are flowering they are certainly happy at the moment :happy:

It seems your little courtyard is very suitable for those plants (y)

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Check to see if there is enough drainage, you don`t want any plants sitting in a puddle or they will rot. Definitely do not add more water if the plants are already wet.

What is your weather like at the moment in Malta? If your camellias are flowering they are certainly happy at the moment :happy:

It seems your little courtyard is very suitable for those plants (y)
The weaher is still not sunny..but where they are as i said no sun or wind and are in pots..i watered them 2 weeks ago! They are not soggy just moist..im concerned that they will need to be watered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would leave them a bit longer if I were you, they will let you know when they need more.They won`t dry out very quickly in the shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If in pots, I would check to see if the pot has water drainage holes that are not working but, I would definitely not water if the soil is already moist (however long that takes to evaporate). The potting mix used should be well draining, acidic, potting mix and should not contain soil from your garden.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
If in pots, I would check to see if the pot has water drainage holes that are not working but, I would definitely not water if the soil is already moist (however long that takes to evaporate). The potting mix used should be well draining, acidic, potting mix and should not contain soil from your garden.
Yes its acidic proper for them and bought from garden nursery and they are in pots..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
And you checked to see if the drainage holes are working? Meaning, they are not clogged for example? See if they Have enough holes or that the holes are large enough. I have drilled new holes in some pots when I deemed them insufficient. I also sometimes extract the plants from the pots to check to see if their roots are circling and see if I new a larger pot but in this case, you could extract the plants to see how moist or soggy the bottom half of the potting mix is.

But above all, regardless of how long you have to wait, do not water until the soil feels dry or almost dry. If weekly rains get the pot soil wet, you will have to wait longer to water. If environmental conditions (local humidity plus rains) are not the explanation for this constant moisture in the potting mix and no one else in the household is also watering them, I would switch to another brand of acidic, well draining, potting mix.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Malta
i will do that..but i was afraid becauce they bloomed few flowers and the other just half open and stopped there maybe..time to settle? i have them only for 2 months and repotted them when i brought them..any help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brian, if your plants look healthy and they have only just started to flower it would be best just to enjoy them. I really don`t think you need to take any action at all at the moment. I think you worry to much - why make problems when there aren`t any :)

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Yes maybe your right! But regarding flowered only 2 or 3 flowers and the other half opened and buds fall??...sorry im a pest with questions..also i water them becauce still moist?? Watered 15 days ago!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cold weather can make them stop blooming but they will resume later. Disturbing the roots (like when transplanting) will also make them take pause. They can also drop buds at times.

Ask a Question