Is this spinach still tasty?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It seems that my spinach barely started to bolt and I just harvested this spinach. It was 83 degrees yesterday in Bloomington, Indiana and is going to stay in the 80s for the next week, so I thought I should harvest the spinach. Is it too late to enjoy my spinach?
73F5D733-5F9D-49C6-BAC3-2602796F8CAE.jpeg

I’m also a little confused about why some of my leaves look like classic spinach while others have a bunch of bubbles in them and are a spear shape. Is this because of the nutrients in the soil, and will it affect the taste?
B731D30A-7B0D-4576-AC2E-07CEBD26BB1C.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for the reply. I tried some of it, and I think it tasted a little bitter, so you are right that it won’t be as good but is still ok.

Does spinach not like temperatures in the mid 70s? It just now reached the 80s in Bloomington, so I thought the plants would be ok. Also, can someone show me a full size spinach plant, because I think they might have just reached full size on me and I didn’t realize it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't grown a lot of spinach but it is supposed to be a cool weather crop.

Also I've picked leaves as needed, not all at once except for end of season. It will grow more leaves just don't strip the plants bare.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That makes sense, I’ve learned some crops grow better if you pick some of the leaves every once in a while. The weather around here has been in the mid 70s the past few days until yesterday, which was in the 80s. I thought they would be ok because of that, but I guess I was wrong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
here in MD he days get o high 70s low eighties right now, but the nights are still in the 50s. I just throw an umbrella over the spinach and lettuces before I leave for work. they last till late June.

Ask a Question