Still confused why this is happening?

S

saboken

I asked this question before but it seem this will happen overnight? I check all my tomatoes every day sometimes twice in the morning and just before dark, the past several days I have found fruit that was perfect the day before develop what I'm told is end rot? Can this happen in a 12 hour span? I have them In several containers 2 are self watering that I never let the tank go dry, I have used Epsom salts nothing seem to stop this? The self watering containers I have used before and never had this issue, can this be something else? A fungal issue or incects?

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_153729.jpg
    IMG_20200804_153729.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I asked this question before but it seem this will happen overnight? I check all my tomatoes every day sometimes twice in the morning and just before dark, the past several days I have found fruit that was perfect the day before develop what I'm told is end rot? Can this happen in a 12 hour span? I have them In several containers 2 are self watering that I never let the tank go dry, I have used Epsom salts nothing seem to stop this? The self watering containers I have used before and never had this issue, can this be something else? A fungal issue or incects?
How much epsom salts did you apply and when?

S

saboken

At first I used a couple tsps per foot of plant then every couple weeks I put about half that to keep it the mangisium up, the bell peppers are growing in the same type of containers they are doing great it's just the tomatoes? They are all being few the same natural ferilizer (worm casing and what ever else they have in it) it's miracle gro.Tomato fertilizer.ill add a photo of the fertilizer I'm using.

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_173838.jpg
    IMG_20200804_173838.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 94
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
At first I used a couple tsps per foot of plant then every couple weeks I put about half that to keep it the mangisium up, the bell peppers are growing in the same type of containers they are doing great it's just the tomatoes? They are all being few the same natural ferilizer (worm casing and what ever else they have in it) it's Ortho Tomato fertilizer.ill add a photo of the fertilizer I'm using.
You should have used a cup at the beginning when transplanted. On a grown plant sprinkle about 2 cups around the base and out to the drip line and water it in. Blossom end rot isn't a lack of calcium in the soil. It is the plants inability to uptake the calcium that is the problem. Your fertilizer isn't the problem. In your case I think another problem is keeping to plants too wet as I can see waterlogging in the bottom of the fruit above the rot. Also, at the 5 oclock position in the photo there appears to be a hole cause by a tomato fruit worm, not a hornworm.

S

saboken

You should have used a cup at the beginning when transplanted. On a grown plant sprinkle about 2 cups around the base and out to the drip line and water it in. Blossom end rot isn't a lack of calcium in the soil. It is the plants inability to uptake the calcium that is the problem. Your fertilizer isn't the problem. In your case I think another problem is keeping to plants too wet as I can see waterlogging in the bottom of the fruit above the rot. Also, at the 5 oclock position in the photo there appears to be a hole cause by a tomato fruit worm, not a hornworm.
The hole formed into the fruit it seem the black Krims are doing that a lot? (Been there since the fruit set) I think they didn't polinate completely as someone else pointed out before, the water issue especially in the self watering containers should be perfect I used them before and check the tank once a week and top it off they can't be overfilled there's a overflow drain on them. Im just confused because the last 2 seasons all I dealt with was blight at the end of the season, the only thing that changed is location I live in Tioga Pennsylvania the last 2 years I was in Occone county SC in the mountains. It rained a lot down there and the season lasted a lot longer.

S

saboken

Found a few more today this one definitely has some kind of fungs growing on it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_124321.jpg
    IMG_20200805_124321.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20200805_124335.jpg
    IMG_20200805_124335.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 90

Ask a Question