Are my seeds still good????

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so we bought a bunch of seeds. And we bought some onion bulbs. Apparently, my dad put them all in a container to store them in. And I opened the container today. The onions put off moisture. The seed packets are now moist. The seed packets are still sealed and everything and I separated, and drying them out. My question is are the seeds still good. Or do I need to get new ones?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You will never know until you set them little suckers in some soil. You might be surprised how resilient seeds are. Put doubble the amount in small containers with pottin soil and see. If you are in a hurry, buy new seeds, but I would try them to see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
You will never know until you set them little suckers in some soil. You might be surprised how resilient seeds are.
I was thinking the same. Based on the number of seeds @LAJgardener mentioned, I would have suggested something. For example, if there were 50 seeds per packet, I would have said try germinating 10. If 4 germinate, then you have 40% germination, so start at least 3 seeds in each hole.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking the same. Based on the number of seeds @LAJgardener mentioned, I would have suggested something. For example, if there were 50 seeds per packet, I would have said try germinating 10. If 4 germinate, then you have 40% germination, so start at least 3 seeds in each hole.
Ok thanks so much!!! I'll start more at a time. and i might get some more seeds to be safe.

Ask a Question