Bread's done

Reaction score
Probably last longer too :D

No joke, my roof leaks and it's not even a thatched roof. At least the horse poo house looks like some effort and craftsmanship was put into it. My apartment wall is so shoddy that when I hammer a nail into the wall to hang up a picture, the nail just punches right through, and sometimes the picture falls down and takes a small chunk of wall with it. This is why I'm always complaining about how much I hate my apartment.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We need to talk you through how to build a proper house then:D

Reaction score
I always admire people who make good bread. Without a bread-making machine (which is really cheating) I'm useless at it. Whatever I do it turns out wrong. I have discovered I can make the best Chappatis, but all that proves is I can't work with yeast!

Reaction score
We need to talk you through how to build a proper house then:D

I wish I could afford to build my own house. I envy people who have their own house and land and generate their own electricity and grow their own food.

In the US, even people who own their houses don't really own them, because it just takes missing a couple of tax payments to lose your house.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I always admire people who make good bread. Without a bread-making machine (which is really cheating) I'm useless at it. Whatever I do it turns out wrong. I have discovered I can make the best Chappatis, but all that proves is I can't work with yeast!

Warmth is the key with yeast Steve, put some dried yeast in a cup with warm water & a bit of sugar and lemon juice, it'll soon start to froth up. Put the oven on for a few minutes so you've got somewhere warm for the bread to rise :)

I wish I could afford to build my own house. I envy people who have their own house and land and generate their own electricity and grow their own food.

In the US, even people who own their houses don't really own them, because it just takes missing a couple of tax payments to lose your house.

Same here with a mortgage.

Mind you, I built my own house, still gotta sell it to give ex half the money:(

Reaction score
Mind you, I built my own house, still gotta sell it to give ex half the money:(

Thought that was a done deal, zigs? Did the sale fall through? We've had another offer on my hubby's house this week. He made a counter-offer....and now we wait.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thought that was a done deal, zigs? Did the sale fall through? We've had another offer on my hubby's house this week. He made a counter-offer....and now we wait.

Yep, their buyer pulled out, but they didn't tell us, just let us keep the place off the market for weeks.

Had 2 offers today, got more viewings tomorrow. Good luck with yours.

Reaction score
Yep, their buyer pulled out, but they didn't tell us, just let us keep the place off the market for weeks.

Had 2 offers today, got more viewings tomorrow. Good luck with yours.

We had another offer this week. Still lower than we'd like. Going to see if the first guy will counter offer now that there's a higher one in the works. I don't know how the legalities of it all work. What I DO know is I'm READY not to own two houses!! HOW do people do that???

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It all takes time Babble.

Thought i'd talk you all through last nights bread.

Put a tablespoon of dried yeast in half a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of lemon juice. Put that somewhere warm for half an hour.

Mixed flour, poppy seeds, herbs, turmeric dry in a bowl, threw in a handful of vegetable suet.

When yeast was bubbling, mixed that in and added a little more warm water to make a dough.

Covered that with a cloth and put somewhere warm for about an hour.

Scraped that out when it had risen & kneaded it for about 10 mins, till it held its shape.

DSCF0015.JPG

Put that in a greased ovenproof dish & cut a cross on the top. Put it to rise again for about half an hour.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCF0019.JPG

When it had risen again, lobbed some milk over it for colour and put it in a pre heated oven at about 220c.
DSCF0022.JPG
DSCF0023.JPG
DSCF0024.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mmmm that bread looks delicious, I can almost smell it from here :D

I hope the house sale is going well - 2 offers and more viewings; sounds like it won't be long!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Does Xenforo 1.2 support scratch & sniff technology? :D The veggie suet was a good move, made it really different.

Got another viewing on friday too:)

Reaction score
On a "breadly" note....I was going to make a couple batches of my no-yeast bread last night, but ran out of steam. Made a lovely batch of soup for a friend who just had surgery, but it looks as though the accompanying bread is going to have to come from the store bakery.

Ask a Question