Bread's done

Reaction score
Morish = want some more.

Flumpy = Same thing that happens to your body when you hit 50

It wasn't meant to spread out that much, but I was using cheap flour on account of being skint.:D Strong bread flour is much more expensive.

I was watching Peep Show and Super Hans just said "That crack was morish." and I thought of you.

I guess Hans was craving more crack.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
LOL

They've started the harvest around here now, we've got an ancient right of gleaning in Britain, which means we can go round the fields after the farmer has harvested and collect what's left without getting killed with a pitchfork.

I'll be collecting left over wheat to add the whole grains to the bread, there's always a strip at the edge that gets missed.

Reaction score
LOL

They've started the harvest around here now, we've got an ancient right of gleaning in Britain, which means we can go round the fields after the farmer has harvested and collect what's left without getting killed with a pitchfork.

I'll be collecting left over wheat to add the whole grains to the bread, there's always a strip at the edge that gets missed.

That's wonderful. What a great idea, nothing gets wasted and no one gets killed with a pitchfork. I like the word gleaning and think it's underused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

You've got a turn of phrase that always makes me smile! :D

Reaction score
I think gleaning is a thing of the past in my part of the world. I know it's meaning, but it's a point of history, I think. I think it's wonderful that you still have that tradition. (and that no one gets killed with a pitchfork or any other implement.) Ditto Becky's comment about "turn of a phrase".

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Who still uses thatching?

A lot of rural Britain is still thatched, if the building is listed then you have to replace like with like.

This is a local one to me that we rendered with Lime Mortar, believe it or not, the walls are made of Cob, a mixture of Chalk Mud, straw & Horse poo.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
MMMMMMMMMMMMM ever so tasty Well done Ziggy you are a master of many hidden talents:)

Reaction score
I didn't know flour could be cheap. I only split flour into organic, all purpose and bleached. I guess that shows my lack of baking skills. I love this post I am learning better lingo!

Reaction score
A lot of rural Britain is still thatched, if the building is listed then you have to replace like with like.

This is a local one to me that we rendered with Lime Mortar, believe it or not, the walls are made of Cob, a mixture of Chalk Mud, straw & Horse poo.

Those walls look lovely and much too nice to made of straw and horse manure. That house actually looks nicer than the one that I rent an apartment in. I actually envy the horse poo house with the thatched roof.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know flour could be cheap. I only split flour into organic, all purpose and bleached. I guess that shows my lack of baking skills. I love this post I am learning better lingo!

Not your lack of baking skills, cheap just means not expensive, the supermarkets over here do a range of basic products for a low price.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those walls look lovely and much too nice to made of straw and horse manure. That house actually looks nicer than the one that I rent an apartment in. I actually envy the horse poo house with the thatched roof.

Probably last longer too :D

Reaction score

So it's like what we would call being on the historical listing? You can't just go changing it because? I have to admit there's quite a charm to this place. And who wouldn't like to be able to tell their friends that their house is made of horse leavings?

Ask a Question