Bread's done

Reaction score
Ha ha! :D Just had to explain why I laughed loudly at my PC...!! :D

My daughter's favorite part of my bread baking is when I explain to her that the bubbles are the yeast farting. She finds it amusing that the little holes in bread are the farts of microorganisms.

Reaction score

Still managed to burn my fingers though :D

That looks gorgeous. I haven't made any big loaves of bread. My specialty is making rolls from scratch, like cloverleaf rolls, and Parker house rolls.
I enjoy the kneading, and letting the dough rise and the smell of the microscopic yeast breaking wind. :p Baking bread is a feast for all the senses.

Jed

Reaction score
The smell of fresh baked hot bread is fantastic. I think that's one of the great attractions to home baked bread.
Our kids have left home so we eat not as much as in earlier days.
We've been buying a locally made organic sprouted rye sour dough loaf once a week and I must say this is the best bought bread I've ever eaten but I do miss that exquisite aroma of home baked bread zigs.:(
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Summer-Kitchen-Bakery/389693084374495

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Made a flumpy herb bread this morning:)

PICT0042.JPG
PICT0043.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D It were a bit morish:D

Reaction score
:D It were a bit morish:D

Define "morish", please?

Yesterday was my baking day. Today I'm outside working in the yard (well, obviously not exactly at THIS moment!) It's a huge pleasure to have been able to have back to back days doing two of my favorite things!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morish = want some more.

Flumpy = Same thing that happens to your body when you hit 50

It wasn't meant to spread out that much, but I was using cheap flour on account of being skint.:D Strong bread flour is much more expensive.

Reaction score
Morish = want some more.

Flumpy = Same thing that happens to your body when you hit 50

It wasn't meant to spread out that much, but I was using cheap flour on account of being skint.:D Strong bread flour is much more expensive.

For my fellow Americans who don't know "skint", skint means broke. I started using that word after I saw it on the show "Flight of the Conchords". Those guys are from New Zealand but they say "skint" and "jumper", which sounds a lot cuter than broke and sweater.

I didn't know that using cheap flour caused bread to be "flumpy". Did it still taste good? I'm totally stealing the word "morish".

Reaction score
I have got to start making bread! I've been learning how to cook recently but I've never tried bread before. Somehow it just didn't occur to me. I've only very rarely had home-made bread...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mmmm that herb bread looks yummy! Was it just chives or other herbs too?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It was lovely:) Think I threw some mixed herbs and Basil in there too, along with some freshly ground black pepper from the taste of it.

Not sure as I put it together late at night after the home made wine had kicked in. This latest batch is far too strong

There's less gluten in cheap flour, which is the stuff that makes it elastic.

Ask a Question