Bread's done

Reaction score
Look at how perfect you baked your bread. I always manage to make the best tasting, but unattractive bread ever. Maybe it due to me always mixing something in my bread, raisins, coconuts , etc. Great job Zigs I bet it was tasty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
YUM! :) Nothing better than the smell of fresh bread, you've put me in the mood to go and bake some!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks so yummy! Now I'm hungry:D
I wish I wasn't on a gluten free diet. Gluten free bread doesn't taste too good. It's bearable but I definitely wouldn't call it delicious.

Reaction score
That bread does look quite tasty, and it is puffy, it rose as it was supposed to. That's been part of my problem with baking (not from scratch), some of my cakes do not rise as they should. However, my last two, I used Betty Crocker, used a little more water, about the same amount of vegetable oil, 3 eggs, and the cakes came out pretty good.

I'm sure you baked your rolls from scratch and from the looks of it, you know exactly what you are doing .. I'm getting better, becoming a better cook, a better baker, as I get in more practice. Only my kids have to taste my dishes though, I don't have the nerve to try to cook for a date, wouldn't want to scare her away, but I am improving ...

Looking at Zigs roll makes me want to make a trip to the bakery...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:)

Been making bread for 25 years now, just seems second nature to get together. Don't use a recipe anymore, just get a feel for when its right.

Should have seen my first efforts though :D:oops:

Activate your yeast first in a cup with some warm water, sugar & lemon juice. When its frothy add that to your flour with just enough warm water to mix it in. Leave that to rise somewhere warm till its risen, then knead the heck out of it, adding more flour till its not sticking to the worktop.

Its ready when you feel it becoming elastic.

Pop it into a greased tray, I use a Pyrex casserole dish, and leave it to rise again.

Don't have the oven too hot, around 150c and keep your eye on it.:)

Reaction score
Thanks Zigs .. but honestly, you may as well have written that in Chinese. You're talking about "kneading" and "becoming elastic", when it's "frothy", "Pyrex casserole" .... ????

I'm sooooo confused !!! You're obviously speaking the language of a chef. Believe me, if I tried baking from scratch, it's not going to be good, I can see my first several efforts going straight to the trash can..

Heck, if I can't read the box and get that right, "baking from scratch", it would come out so bad, I'd probably break some little known law and be prosecuted.. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I am on your wavelength, Task ! My attempts at kneading bread didn't produce anything that would qualify as elastic, either. More like cement, maybe. Once I learned that the bread machine knows how to knead bread correctly, I have never tried making it by hand ever again.
Now, my husband loves making bread, and he just throws it all on the bowl, does his magic mixing, and soon there is awesome smelling bread baking in the oven. Of course, he is a chef, so I guess it comes naturally for him.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Zigs .. but honestly, you may as well have written that in Chinese. You're talking about "kneading" and "becoming elastic", when it's "frothy", "Pyrex casserole" .... ????

I'm sooooo confused !!! You're obviously speaking the language of a chef.

Jīhuó jiàomǔ xiān zài yīxiē wēnnuǎn de yībēi shuǐ, táng hé níngméng zhī. Dāng qí pàomò tā tiānjiā dào nǐ de miànfěn jǐnjǐn zú liàng wēnshuǐ, hùnhé tā. Líkāi wēnnuǎn dì dìfāng, zhídào qí shàngshēng shàngshēng, zài róu tā de cuòzhé gǎn, jiārù miànfěn, zhídào qí bù jiānchí dào táimiàn.

Tā de zhǔnbèi, dāng nǐ juéde tā biàn de tánxìng.

Chéng yóu de tuōpán dànchū, wǒ shǐyòng de shì nài rè shāguō cài, bìng bǎ tā zàicì shàngshēng.

:D

There you go:)

Kneading = Thumping it about on a work top.
Elastic = When the Gluten in the flour is released by Kneading, the dough becomes stretchy, you can feel the difference.
Frothy = Dried yeast comes back to life with warm water & sugar, it farts carbon dioxide & makes a foam.
Pyrex Casserole dish = Oven proof bowl.

Hope that makes it clearer:)

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but, I think it would be REALLY cool if you could send objects over the internet to people!:D What I mean is, I reeeeaaallly have to have a taste of that bread!!!! It looks very goood!!!!!

*Just kidding*

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I often do, sent a Darlek poster to one of our staff anonymously, he guessed who sent it:D

Think the bread might get a bit stale by snail mail though:D

Reaction score
I found a lovely recipe on Pinterest for no-knead bread. I love to bake but don't often take the time to make bread. When I'm in the mood I often use this new recipe. And it takes all sorts of yummy add-ins so you can make cinnamon raisin, or cheese & pepperoni. When I first made it I was so excited because it came out looking as pretty as the photo and it tasted great, too!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Guess whats going in the next one:D

PICT0041.JPG

Ask a Question