Bonsai tree advice?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just wondering what the upkeep would be like for a Bonsai tree? I know they require a lot of maintenance, but I was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience with one and had any tips or tricks to keeping it alive and well? I have only ever seen them perish, even with routine care.

Reaction score
I also tried one and failed at it. I am not sure what went wrong. I think it might have been a watering issue. It was some years ago and I don't know if the tree I had was supposed to need a lot of water or very little.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
There's no simple answer to this question as different species of Bonsai trees have different needs. One problem I've noticed is that a lot of people regard Bonsai as indoor plants, while that isn't usually the case.

I've got a lot of trees, most of them still in the early stages of training, and for the most part they seem to do pretty well outdoors, though some of the more sensitive ones need to be moved indoors during the winter months. However my climate is probably milder than yours, as the temperature hardly ever drops below about -5°C (23°F) here and snow is a real rarity.

What's important is to choose a tree that will do well in your climate and then find out what its special needs are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg
If you want an indoor bonsai the ficus retusa has been very successful for me. Mine was already trained when I got mine and two years old. I've had it since 1997 in a bonsaii pot setting in a Japanese display pedestal with an edge to hold/catch water. The first picture is prior to yearly pruning and clean up. I've tried a few other species of ficus, but they were a little too vigorous to maintain easily as Bonsall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I'll second the suggestion of Ficus as a good choice if you want to grow indoor bonsai. I've got several different varieties of them growing in my back yard. I prefer to keep mine outdoors when the weather is suitable, but it's really not necessary as long as they get good light.

As Jewell said, some species are more vigorous than others, but I tend to go for the ones that grow more vigorously as I've grown a lot of my trees from cuttings and find styling them myself is part of the fun. The tree in my profile photo is a Ficus Natalensis (indigenous to South Africa) which I started from a very small cutting about eight years ago. The photo is an old one, taken about two years ago, so I really should update it.

Ask a Question