Bonsai Fruit Trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
I didn't think these were possible with our climate but we recently came across a garden that was so surreal, I fell in love with the idea. There was a tiny lemon tree with a fruit almost as big as it was tall, it was AWESOME. The caretakers told me that they had just sold an orange tree and a guava tree, both bonsai, both fruit-bearing.

I would love to find out how to do this, mostly because we don't have a lot of space here at home. It's not so much for the aesthetic-ness of having a miniature plant, but I just think having a towering fruit tree is sometimes so wasted because no one bothers to go all the way to the top for the fruit. Does anyone have any experience in growing and grooming bonsai trees? Any tip and tricks out there that could help a beginner start in the right direction?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not an expert, but I think that there is no difference between growing fruit tree bonsais and regular bonsais. It takes a lot of time and effort.
Here is an interesting guide that I've just found: http://www.ehow.com/how_6226011_make-bonsai-lemon-tree.html

ec6e2f92c42344032b2e6e560436c499.jpg

Reaction score
I don't think that fruit bonsai trees are the best idea for beginners, I mean, the average bonsai trees we see often require a lot skill and experience! Now imagine a fruit bonsai tree! That one must take a lot skill... to make it right and make it bear fruit. Just check those perfect examples i found online:

e7a7b29f11bd0643661ba1611b5c62a4.jpg

598938663_167.jpg

2826.jpg

Led-tree-light-peach-fruit-peach-high-artificial-plant-bonsai-gift-quality-fashion-free-shipping.jpg

bobo.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
Oh man, those look gorgeous, Trellum! Great finds there.

I think 'bonsai' is a bit of a misnomer for what I want to do, since I don't really have time and effort to spare into making a real miniature tree in that scope. I do however want to miniaturize a tree, perhaps keep it at around six feet or less. I was hoping to employ the principles found in bonsai so that they could still grow strong regardless of height. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh man, those look gorgeous, Trellum! Great finds there.

I think 'bonsai' is a bit of a misnomer for what I want to do, since I don't really have time and effort to spare into making a real miniature tree in that scope. I do however want to miniaturize a tree, perhaps keep it at around six feet or less. I was hoping to employ the principles found in bonsai so that they could still grow strong regardless of height. Does that make sense?
I think what you want are called dwarf varieties. There are dwarf plums and dwarf citrus that I see every so often. There is probably dwarf everything out there. Bonsai takes a lot of time, experience and knowledge. There are bonsai clubs out there you could join to learn a little about it. I have heard that once you start it is difficult to stop and is a life long project.

Last edited:

Ask a Question