Bonsai Tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know any websites that I can buy I nice bonsai tree that ships, preferably a website with plenty of varieties to chose from? I've never had one before so I'm not sure what all to look for or where it would be best to get one. Any help would be greatly appreciated please and thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I can't help you with an answer to your question as I don't live in the US, but I noticed that your question is in the section for indoor plants and thought I should warn you that most bonsai trees need to be kept outdoors, though they may need to be protected during winter if you live in a cold climate. One of the popular species used for bonsai is Junipers and many people have found out the hard way that they cannot survive indoors. If you want a tree that can be kept indoors, Ficus is one of the best options.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well thank you for your response nonetheless...and goodness, really? I was under the impression bonsai trees were primarily indoor plants :( That's disappointing but thank you for correcting me there! I'll look into a Ficus instead then, thanks for the advice :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Unfortunately a lot of people are under that impression. Part of that is because bonsai shows are usually held indoors. But a bonsai is just an ordinary tree that has been dwarfed as a result of pruning. If you plant one in the ground it will eventually grow back into a full size tree. As trees naturally grow outdoors, bonsai need similar conditions. Ficus are tropical trees so they like warm conditions and can't survive in extreme cold.

I must admit that when I started out I also wanted to grow bonsai indoors and I killed a few trees before I learnt that most of them need to be outside.

The tree in my profile picture is an indigenous South African Ficus which I grew from a cutting.

Good luck. I hope you find a really nice Ficus and that it gives you years of happiness.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh...well that does make sense. Hm, well it sounds like a ficus could be doable in my situation then. That is a lovely plant, is it hard to keep up with them in terms of maintenance? Thank you, I hope so as well, it sounds like a great idea :).

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I love Bonsai trees and they are so fascinating and peaceful. Something about them just brings about peace and calm. I find that having one to trim and take care of his a masterful skill because if you dont vut it in a certain way then it dies. I have had a few and eventually gave up on them but I think I might spoil myself for Christmas and try one more time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I love Bonsai trees and they are so fascinating and peaceful. Something about them just brings about peace and calm. I find that having one to trim and take care of his a masterful skill because if you dont vut it in a certain way then it dies. I have had a few and eventually gave up on them but I think I might spoil myself for Christmas and try one more time.

Some species of trees are much more tolerant when it comes to cutting than others. Getting back to the Junipers I mentioned earlier, any branch that is left without foliage will die. On the other hand there are some species that can safely be cut back to a stump with no branches at all and they'll still survive. It's important to read up on the species that you own so that you know its special requirements.

I highly recommend that you spoil yourself for Christmas but read up on a few different species first so that you find one that will be easy for you to look after. Climate is an important factor too, especially if you want an outdoor tree.

Where in South Africa do you live?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Yes i will read up on them first to see which one I can have that is the lowest maintenance. I live in the East coast, Natal with a tropical climate and one rainy season along with a very hot month in February.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses and thoughts you guys :). I'm beginning to understand more about the challenges and benefits to bonsais, as well as just the overall conditions that are best for them. Always good to keep learning! I hope that you do give them another shot Tasha, they are so gorgeous and calming, I agree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Yes i will read up on them first to see which one I can have that is the lowest maintenance. I live in the East coast, Natal with a tropical climate and one rainy season along with a very hot month in February.

If your climate is tropical then you can keep a tree like a Ficus outdoors all year round. I'm in Joburg so I have to protect mine from frost in the winter but they'll be much happier in your climate. One way of determining which trees will do well in your climate is to use species which grow in your area.

This page on the South African Bonsai Association website lists a few bonsai nurseries and clubs in the Natal area. It might be worth getting in touch with some of these people to help you decide what to buy. I belong to a club and find the more experienced growers a big help. We have a couple of workshops a month where we work on styling our own trees, so we learn by doing.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thats fantastic thank you! I am going to have a look right now so that I can get myself and my dad one for Christmas. I love Bonsai and I wouldnt have thought it could grow in the Gauteng climate!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thats fantastic thank you! I am going to have a look right now so that I can get myself and my dad one for Christmas. I love Bonsai and I wouldnt have thought it could grow in the Gauteng climate!

Trees like maples, olives and junipers are perfectly happy outdoors in Joburg all your round, but I do have to protect my ficuses and a few other more sensitive species during winter. I have a small greenhouse which gives them all the protection they need, but I sometimes wish I lived in a warmer climate, not just for the benefit of my trees but for my own comfort too. I hate cold weather.

I hope you find really nice trees for yourself and your Dad. Please let me know what you choose.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thank you! I got my dad a bamboo palm which he loves and I still lookin for the Bonsai trees and dont seem to find many options here in Durbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thank you! I got my dad a bamboo palm which he loves and I still lookin for the Bonsai trees and dont seem to find many options here in Durbs.

I'm glad you found something your Dad likes. As far as finding bonsai is concerned, you don't have to buy a tree ready styled. You can buy an ordinary tree of a suitable species from any nursery and cut it down to make it into a bonsai. It takes longer that way, but to me that's half the fun. I'm surprised that you're struggling to find bonsai in Durban though. A lot of the nurseries in Joburg have a small bonsai section and even Woolworths keep bonsai trees at certain times of year, the Christmas season being one of them. If you don't find something I might be able to find out from someone at my club whether they know of a nursery in Durban that keep bonsai.

Ask a Question