Wisteria bonsai tree

Reaction score
I love wisteria trees (the big ones), but I was told by a member of this forum is possible to get a wisteria bonsai tree. I've seen a lot pictures of wisteria bonsai trees, for me the main attractive trait of this tree are the flowers. This takes me to the next question... how hard is making one of those trees bloom?? I'd love having one, since I have no space at home for a big one (not now not in the future - unless I move out).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Wisteria has to have a cool/cold winter with adequate sun light outside. It is not a house plant. You need to make sure you have a blooming plant. Some wisteria are notorious for taking a long time (6 or more years) before coming into bloom.

You might want to keep a potted wisteria in a large pot on your patio or balcony. A lot easier to maintain than a bonsaii. You can start training it to look like a tree, but watering is easier in a larger decorative patio pot than the smaller bonsai pots. If you buy a plant that is blooming in the spring you are guaranteed the joy of flowers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aw, so it's actually more tricky than they led me to believe then? :( That's kinda sad, because I was thinking that by getting a wisteria bonsai tree I'd be able to enjoy a blooming tree every year, silly me! I'll try to get more info on wisteria trees in general :) I'll definitely get a wisteria once I move out :) So far I've learnt a lot about them over here, but I feel I need to learn even more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As you know, I love Wisteria too:) It would be pretty magical to grow it indoors. But I'm rather impatient, so it's not a good news that they take 6 years before coming into bloom. It's such a long time:( I hope that in six years I'll have my own garden, far away from my parents' home and I'll be able to grow there as many trees as I want too:)

Reaction score
Same here :) Hopely in 6 years we'll have our own houses with our very own family :) A big garden would be awesome... I don't plan to fill my garden with wisterias tho :D I plan to have just two, in the front of the house and maybe one in the back! Oh I first have to see what kind of house I can get in the Netherlands, well me and my boyfriend, hope our credit will do!

Reaction score
I loved my Wisteria at my old place and was hoping from the title I could make a wee little one. Well I guess I can bring back the full size and give it a whirl here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I did some research and I found a picture of a gorgeous wisteria bonsai tree. I'm sure that you'll find it beautiful too:)! Here it is:

8a5ea214a93278f7d83101f201c2c533.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks, Claudine! I'd not hate waiting 6 years to see my wisteria flowering like this :) That wisteria tree is blossoming beautifully! It must take a lot time and care to do that :) So whoever did this must be a true bonsai expert :eek:

Reaction score
I loved my Wisteria at my old place and was hoping from the title I could make a wee little one. Well I guess I can bring back the full size and give it a whirl here.

Yeah, I'd prefer a normal size one, but sadly I don't have enough space, and having a bonsai version of a wisteria is very hard :p I mean, I could buy it, but taking care of it would be really hard, it would be even harder to make it bloom!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I did some research and I found a picture of a gorgeous wisteria bonsai tree. I'm sure that you'll find it beautiful too:)! Here it is:

8a5ea214a93278f7d83101f201c2c533.jpg

Oh my god, that is one majestic wisteria bonsai tree! One like this can easily be the ultimate goal of a bonsai cultivator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It definitely can:) I think it's the most beautiful bonsai tree I've ever seen. It's just perfect, I love everything about it:)
I wonder how old it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
It definitely can:) I think it's the most beautiful bonsai tree I've ever seen. It's just perfect, I love everything about it:)
I wonder how old it is.

Good point. Most of those incredible bonsai trees are like 15 or 20 years old. No wonder why they look so natural and awesome. I'm sure there are techniques to accelerate the aging look of trees though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Good point. Most of those incredible bonsai trees are like 15 or 20 years old. No wonder why they look so natural and awesome. I'm sure there are techniques to accelerate the aging look of trees though.
I don't know if it's true, but I heard that the oldest bonsai trees are over 800o_O It's just so amazing. I'd love to have a tree like that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have quite a few bonsai trees that are over 30 - 40 years old.

The age of these trees is the main reason I started learning how to train and style them.

It's amazing knowing that something on my desk is older than I am :D

Ask a Question