Bonsai trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've split out your query into a new topic :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
It depends on the species of tree as well as the climate in which you live. If you are growing tropical trees and live in a cold climate then you will need to move them indoors for the winter. I grow a lot of ficuses and, although it rarely snows here, I have to protect them from frost or they will die. My maples and olives on the other hand stay outside permanently.

If your bonsai is of a species which you commonly see growing in your area, you may be able to keep it unprotected during winter. It's best to try to get more information from someone who is familiar with both your climate and the species of tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It depends. If your bonsai is a tree that go dormant in your climate zone, then yes, you should winter it outside, or, at least, move it to the coldest room in your house.
A few years ago I tried to grow an oak indoors (a silly idea, I know, but I was a teenager back then and I wanted to experiment a little:p). I had no idea that it should go dormant, so I kept it in my room. It didn't survive winter:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have an even better question: where do you get them?
You can either buy a bonsai tree at a store, or find a small, young tree, plant it in a special, flat pot and start shaping it. It takes a lot of time to make it look like a bonsai though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Of course it's not a dumb question, feel free to ask about anything:) I always have billions of questions too, fortunately people here are very patient and friendly:)

Try gardening stores, florists, maybe even gardening sections at supermarkets. I'm pretty sure that you can buy them online too.

Ask a Question