Bonsai trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Hi! My uncle recently got into bonsai trees, and his house is now filled with them. They are actually nice to look at, so I was thinking if I should get one for our garden. I know they're very expensive here in the Philippines. So, I was wondering if someone here knows any idea about bonsai trees. How are they made?

Reaction score
Well, I read about them a while ago, it's a hobby that requires a lot patience and maybe taking a course on the topic. According to what I read it requires a lot patience and some experience, the first attempts might not be so good. As far as I know picking the right tree for your climate is the key! But generally juniper trees are great for newbies who are just getting into the hobby.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Well, I read about them a while ago, it's a hobby that requires a lot patience and maybe taking a course on the topic. According to what I read it requires a lot patience and some experience, the first attempts might not be so good. As far as I know picking the right tree for your climate is the key! But generally juniper trees are great for newbies who are just getting into the hobby.

Oh I see. I thought that making bonsai trees is rather easy. Silly me! Thanks for the information. I researched about juniper trees, and I am thinking that they will look great on our garden. I will try to search for them next week when we visit the Sunday market. Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
Oh don't worry, I'm sure isn't so hard :) I mean, they say practice is everything, so if you really want to try this amazing hobby and you have a lot patience, then go for it :) Try with a juniper tree, then once you are experienced enough you can try with others... I have even seem people pulling off amazing things, such as wisteria bonsai trees and even lemon trees!!!!

Check these out:

images

flower-bonsai-tree-03.jpg

03-Bougainvillea-ekobonsai.jpg

images

index.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bonsai trees are one of my favorites as they are so artistic. It does take years of practice though because they have to be trimmed perfectly. My friends dad used to grow them when I was younger, and it is an intense hobby.

Reaction score
Hi! My uncle recently got into bonsai trees, and his house is now filled with them. They are actually nice to look at, so I was thinking if I should get one for our garden. I know they're very expensive here in the Philippines. So, I was wondering if someone here knows any idea about bonsai trees. How are they made?
I just love bonsai trees. I have always been interested in them but never went the extra mile to research. I would love to have one but I have heard they are very time consuming and a bit difficult to take care of.

If you have the time I would suggest it. What a great hobby and something you can be proud of. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
bonsia kath wilson.jpg
bonsia waveneygem.jpg
Excellent Trellum

I am having a go at Bonsia Fuchsias

This one is Kath Wilson the other I think is Waveny Gem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Those are really beautiful bonsai trees! I am quite envious. :( I can't buy one because it's very expensive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I also have a year old alpine plant growing as a small tree.

I decided to put in a bonsai dish when I first got it as it had a god shape

I think I only paid £2.99 uk money for the succulent.

Have a look in plant section of garden centres its amaking what you see that could be made into a Bonsia

Even small azalea or rhodie can be usd.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I've never been a big fan of bonsai trees. They're so unnatural. But I must say that I like all the pictures in this thread. Thank you for sharing them:)

Reaction score
I had a couple of really nice bonsai some years back - a quince and a juniper, but they both died. I guess that was due to my lack of knowledge on how to care for them properly. I don't believe bonsai are particularly costly in the Philippines though Helagumamela. You should check out some of the prices for mature bonsai in garden centers in the likes of the UK and the US - sky-high pricing! Anyhow, best of fortune with yours - mabuting kapalaran!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Those are really beautiful bonsai trees! I am quite envious. :( I can't buy one because it's very expensive.

Bonsai trees don't have to be expensive if you start with a nursery tree and style it yourself. Bonsai is one of my hobbies (which explains my profile picture), but I rarely buy anything that is being sold as bonsai. There is a lot of online information to help you choose a suitable tree and then style it yourself.

The tree in my profile picture was grown from a cutting, so it cost me nothing except the soil, food and water, and the pot in which it is growing. It is now about seven years old, but the photo was taken about two years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gina 145, to have some bonsai talent. I wonder if I could ever do anything like that. How many years of practice did it take you to really get b the styling down?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Gina 145, to have some bonsai talent. I wonder if I could ever do anything like that. How many years of practice did it take you to really get b the styling down?

I've been a member of a bonsai club for seven years, but that tree was started when I was still very much a beginner. Clubs can be a big help when it comes to things like styling, but you can get a lot of information about the rules for styling trees just by reading online. There are also online bonsai forums where you can upload photos of a tree and experts will give you advice on how to proceed.

Ask a Question