Big chill facing the Midlands

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
We had snow, not a lot, but very pretty.
This is a cold area and an old house (no cavity walls), but even when it went down to -20c last year we managed to keep warm. If your house is still cold with all the heating on then perhaps you need to look at more insulation for it?
We have wall cavity insulation and a lot in the loft, but it still gets cold but we don't have the heating on all day, only in the morning and afternoon. The gas fire is always on and just getting the sun through the patio windows, now it's warming up. It will feel warmer when all the curtains are drawn tonight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We had the house replastered when we moved in, all the outside walls were lined with insulating platerboard before being skimmed. Immediate impact, in that we moved in one of the coldest winters on record. We have the wood fire lit from first thing and the heating on as and when we feel the need. Helps that the house faces South and South East so any sunshine has a good warming effect.
We have now had frost every month except August.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We're just above the midlands. It's been trying to snow but then gave up and we've had some rain , but it's stopped now. Might get some snow on Friday.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Heavy snow forecast for us last night but no one let it know so we had a bit of frost instead. I'm not sure what it put down today because I've been too idle to go look but it looks wet at the moment. The forecasters keep giving snow out for us and I'm sure they'll eventually strike lucky. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just received this from our neighbour and it's worth passing on.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Supposed to snow this evening, 90 percent chance of it according to the forecast. So why have we got clear skies? Going to be rather frosty though and since the lane is very wet, tomorrow's walk may turn into a slide.

Ask a Question