Big chill facing the Midlands

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Supposed to snow this evening, 90 percent chance of it according to the forecast. So why have we got clear skies? Going to be rather frosty though and since the lane is very wet, tomorrow's walk may turn into a slide.

An easy question to answer Owdboggy; you've possibly got the same BBC weather forecasters we endure who with £millions worth of instruments and even satellites still can't correctly forecast our UK weather. Most of the year they only need to forecast rain for Yorkshire then their success rate would soar but they haven't yet sussed this out and I'll not tell them because I couldn't then start my day with a moan about the weather. :p

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
So it froze and then we had about half an inch of snow. Walk turned into a slide and a fall. Elbow hurt, but I felt myself going so I dropped rather than going a over t.
Blue skies and defrosting now.
Mind what we get is nothing compared to the temps forecast for parts of the USA.
What really gets me about the forecast is that the weather station for round here is almost visible from our upstairs and they still get it wrong even when all they need to do is look out of the window! And don't get me started on the 'latest' Satellite images. Laugh when it shows us hidden under clouds and the sun is cracking the slates and vice versa.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry to learn of your fall Owdboggy but fortunately you bounced but still hurt your elbow; last year I was walking down our sloping path when suddenly I was looking at the sky; I've never fallen as quickly and totally without warning this being on black ice; not a mark on me but it did shake me up for a while.

I've just been out to visit the post office to post a couple of cards and collect cash; the PO I used has now closed; a PO has opened in the mini supermarket up the village about half a mile away; I never use this because it would mean abseiling from an helicopter parking being atrocious; I don't walk (climb) up to the village because we live on a very steep valley side; I used to walk up but then could do nothing for the rest of the day being worn out; I drove up to the top of the world at Grange Moor to find the PO closed so then I drove down to Flockton and finally a PO actually open. 10 miles later I was back home. The paths were all like glass so A&E will be doing a lot of business today.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Being Widnes bread and buttered I played Rugby League from as soon as I could walk. Learning how to fall was part and parcel of it. Also, discovered after a bone density scan that I have unusually dense bones. Often wondered why every one else broke wrists, collar bones etc, playing but all I ever managed was fingers.
Have to admit that I have wrenched my back a bit so no Dancing on Ice for me.
Been a lovely day here, bright sunshine and plus temps (3c.). Lovely sunset now and getting very much colder.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
What really gets me about the forecast is that the weather station for round here is almost visible from our upstairs and they still get it wrong even when all they need to do is look out of the window!
Go and sort them out mate it's not good enough (n)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just returned home driving from the top of the valley at Grange Moor; -3C up there but a lot warmer lower down for us at -2C. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Becky. Not even a bruise and the back is no worse than it always is. Thanks.
Managed a second walk this afternoon and the temp must have been above freezing as the mud along the lane was slushy, not solid like it was first thing. No snow for us, if they have got it right and not as low temp as last night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I saw this today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So it froze and then we had about half an inch of snow. Walk turned into a slide and a fall. Elbow hurt, but I felt myself going so I dropped rather than going a over t.
Blue skies and defrosting now.
Mind what we get is nothing compared to the temps forecast for parts of the USA.
What really gets me about the forecast is that the weather station for round here is almost visible from our upstairs and they still get it wrong even when all they need to do is look out of the window! And don't get me started on the 'latest' Satellite images. Laugh when it shows us hidden under clouds and the sun is cracking the slates and vice versa.
Ouch! Falling on ice is something I worry about with Becky be-bopping around here on the hill. I hope you did not even bruise!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all light cloud and gentle breeze temp 0 to 3c
Last night hubby sprinkled a lot of salt on the drive, around the front path and over the road where we walk the boys. But we only had a light dusting of snow, but the salt worked.

Ask a Question