a big question , at least i think it is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
o.k - this year i failed in growing corn - we planted the right time [ we think ] - was told i needed NITROGEN [ didn`t have it ] - corn was full grown at 2 1/2 ft. all the stalks were done corn looked terrible - now comes next year - i live in N.C. zone 8 does anyone know what day or month is best to plant - it is a 4x8 raised bed - how much nitrogen ? and how close to put seed`s - A BIG THANKS if somebody can come back with all that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bubba, we are in zone 8, but in Texas with more heat and less rain than you. We plant corn in four row blocks in mid to late March. For nitrogen I use our compost which is rich in chicken manure. We plant corn seeds about 4" apart in the four rows--most folks plant in hills, but that has never worked for us
If you don't have access to composted chicken manure, find ammonium nitrate in pellet form that can be applied directly to the soil. Follow directions, since the nitrate can burn roots if over-applied.

Ask a Question