Best ways to use up abundant produce

Reaction score
I'm alway up to my ears in Zucchini each year and this year I was absolutely sick of sautéed zucchini, zucchini pasta, zucchini lasagna. I knew that I needed to use them up, soI went on a search for something a bit different and I found these wonderful zucchini brownies. I never knew zucchini could be so decadent.

So what's your favourite way to use up your abundant produce?

Zucchini brownie recipe
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-brownies/

Reaction score
I agree with the brownies, they are great, and you can grate them and freeze them in the amounts you need for your recipes..

Reaction score
Just speaking specifically about zucchini, I love zucchini bread!! My mom used to make it all the time when I was a little girl. So delicious. I have not had it in years. Mentioning it right now makes me want to make some, but I don't have the recipe. I'll have to look it up on line and hope that the recipe that I use produces a good final product.

This is the first time that I have heard about zucchini brownies. They sound good too.

Reaction score
The zucchini brownies are excellent I reccomend then 100%.
What do you do with tons of tomatoes that are about to spoil?

Reaction score
I have never heard of zucchini brownies, Oh no I should not even think of those, I need to lose some weight. Canning them would be a good idea. When we had excess of one produce we often exchanged it with our neighbors for something they grew. Send them gifts and they will send some of their produce right back to you. It works most of the time. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will definitely be looking into those zucchini brownies! I think zucchini bread is a great idea because then you can freeze some. Do you have friends and neighbors who are growing stuff? Maybe you can organize a swap. Also, if you you have a really large surplus of veggies, you could always donate some to the local food bank.

Reaction score
I posted a recipe somewhere around here for zucchini pie.
It's like pumpkin pie but with zucchini. You use all the usually pumpkin pie spices. If I find it again, I'll post it here too.
You can also make zucchini cake.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I made a quick Courgette pickle a few years ago, think it was just vinegar, sugar & salt. Might have thrown some mustard seed in too.

Going to have to find the recipe again as after last years total harvest failure I planted 6 plants this year and they're all doing well.

Reaction score
The zucchini brownies and bread sound great. For tomatoes I would turn them into a passata and then freeze it for use when you need it in other recipes. I use loads of passata so this is what I do with mine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You have lucky neighbors. It must be nice to live next to prolific gardeners that grow a lot of stuff and like to share it.
I'm very lucky to have the neighbours I have, and we're on friendly terms with all of them.
Today I dug up a big bucket of new spuds, (Arran Pilot) and gave some to my next door neighbour and to the very nice Irish lady who lives across the street and loves freshly dug new spuds.

Reaction score
My favorite is double-chocolate zucchini cake - it is so moist and chocolate-y! Brownies would be good too. I never thought of making zucchini pie, I'll have to give it a try. And zucchini bread also sounds good! I haven't had a veggie garden in so many years I'm looking forward to an over-abundance of zucchini, tomato, and pumpkins this year! :)

Ask a Question