Best ways to use up abundant produce

Reaction score
One of the things that I have done with leftover zucchini is to make sweet relish with it. It works just as well as cucumber does, tastes about the same, and will keep well. Then, you have plenty of relish for sandwiches all winter long.

When I run out of ways to use tomatoes, or just plain get tired of eating them, I get out the dehydrator and dry them. I slice them thin, add salt and pepper, and lay them on the dehydrator racks to dry. They work perfectly in any recipe that calls for either fresh, canned or sun dried tomatoes, and are so delicious, you can eat some for a snack.
I never thought about making sweet relish with zucchini. I will have to try that.

Reaction score
Zucchini bread is my favorite way to use up zucchini. It makes great gifts for friends and neighbors, freezes well and is delicious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried zucchini bread, it sounds good! My mother is a big fan of the vegetable, she grows it every year, and then we get cooked zucchini, zucchini with pasta, zucchini with buckwheat, fried zucchini slices...it's good, but I'm already bored with it:confused:

Reaction score
I wish I could eat zucchini like that, but I don't get to eat it as much as I would like. I like the idea of fried zucchini slices and zucchini with pasta sounds good too. Have you ever tried zucchini with squash before? It's good.

Reaction score
I love zucchini bread! So yummy. The idea of zucchini in soup is great too. For an abundance of tomatoes I usually freeze them in quart-sized bags. This size makes it easier to use and reheat into dishes. When I have extra produce, I usually share with family and friends. They love free food!

Reaction score
I like getting free food from friends as well. I have a lot of friends who like to give me their extra vegetables and I am grateful to them for sharing. I am going to try growing my iwn vegetables though so I can have even more:p.

Reaction score
I'm getting a lot into canning, I'm also learning to do many things with fruits... such as mermalades, fruit desserts and much more! Drying fruit for a snack later is also a good option. I read there are many ways to dry fruit, but once I have the cash... I might go for a dehydrator! There are many in the market and they're not that expensive at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother bought a dehydrator and I must say that it's a very useful appliance. As far as I know, it wasn't very expensive.
So far, we tried drying apples in it and they turned out really delicious:D Dried apples make a perfect and healthy snack. In fact, I like them more than fresh ones:p

Reaction score
I haven't tried drying my own fruit before. I need to see about getting a dehydrator my self anf seeing if I will like it. I do like drief apples though.

Reaction score
I love all the ideas here since I get a huge surplus all year. I have also taken the larger zucchini and cook them just like eggplant parmiagiana. I have also cut them lengthwise and made stuffed zucchini (same recipe as stuffed cabbage or stuffed peppers). Yes my neighbors and friends all get some, but I do like the idea of baking them in sweets.

I know I add carrots and zucchini to my meatloaf and it is quite moist, so must be the same concept.

Reaction score
I haven't tried carrots and zucchini in meatloaf before. That does sound good. I may just try that out and see if I like it. That is if I can stop from eating the carrots.:p

Reaction score
I haven't tried carrots and zucchini in meatloaf before. That does sound good. I may just try that out and see if I like it. That is if I can stop from eating the carrots.:p
If I add carrots and zucchini, I make the pieces very small. I put them in a food processor first. I have to hide them from my picky eater!

Reaction score
I understand that. Me I would probably do it the same way eating the carrots as I put them into the processor.:p I do love my carrots:D.

Ask a Question