Best Tomatoes?

Reaction score
Does anyone know which tomatoes are the best tomatoes to plant? I heard steak tomatoes were good.

Reaction score
Beef steak is what you are thinking of. There are many, many varieties, many different colors. Tomatoes need at least eight hours each day of direct sunlight, if you don't have that then you won't get much yield. Since you are a new gardener you should probably get plants that have been started rather than try to grow them from seed.

Reaction score
It would be difficult to know which variety of tomato to suggest without first knowing what type of climate you are planning to grow them in or what you are planning to use them for - as well as the type of flavor you are looking for.

As like firelily has already mentioned - there are hundreds and hundreds of different varieties of tomatoes to choose from - many of which are suited to growing in different climates - like Beefsteak tomatoes or as you know them steak tomatoes which as they require at the very minimum at least eight hours of sun a day as well as a longer than average summer to ripen - would not be the best choice for planting now - particularly as in most areas its a bit late in the season to be thinking of planting tomatoes if hoping for an abundant crop.

However after saying that - if you really do want to have a go at growing tomatoes this year - it might well be worth paying a visit to your local garden store - to see if they still have any young tomato plants available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I've never tasted a tomato variety that I wouldn't like. They're all delicious. So whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy:) If I were you, I'd try a few different varieties, this way you'll be able to pick a favorite. Personally, I love Oxheart tomatoes, because they're really big and sweet:D

Reaction score
I personally love growing sweet 100s, though this year I didn't plant any as I didn't want to deal with having to string them up as it is quite annoying to do so. So I decided to plant Beefsteak tomatoes. They are doing great, specially now that it is beginning to heat up.

Ask a Question