Saving the best of the first tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is about the time for our tomatoes to come in. Did they all produce to your expectations or were some flops and others winners? I am lucky enough to have room to play around and experiment with different varieties of tomatoes. I always plant the old standbys but I am always looking for the perfect, most prolific disease free tomatoe so I plant varieties I have never heard of, both determinate, indeterminate, hybrid and open pollinated. Every garden is different, different soil, different climate, different sunlight, different history, different everything. What grows well in your neighbors garden doesn't necessairly mean it will do the same in yours. So, when you stumble across a tomatoe that does much better than others do you hope you can find it next year or do you save the seeds?

Most tomatoes, at least in the southern US are hybrids meaning they have been crossed with 2 or more other varieties and when you save seeds from them you may or may not, probably not, have them come true, but sometimes you end up with a tomatoe that is absolutely outstanding. There are many so called hybrids that have been produced for so long that they will come true every time thus becoming an heirloom. There are literally 100's of heirloom tomatoe varieties to choose from. So, after growing a healthy great producing tomatoe, what to do? The main thing you look for is its earliness. How long from setting out the plant to a ripe tomatoe. We all want the earliest tomatoe so we can grow more of them for a longer time. Second in importance is size. By size I mean I want the biggest 3 oz or 8 oz tomatoe possible, and for me number 3 is the taste. I don't think I have ever had a bad tasting tomatoe, the worst tasting was still delicious.

So how do you save the seeds? What I do is wait for my first best tomatoe to completely rippen on the vine. Then I slice it in half and dig out the seeds with a spoon and eat the rest. I put the seeds in a fine mesh collander and run cool water over the seeds gently stirring them until most if not all of the clear goo is washed away. Then I spread them out on a little piece of wax paper and let them dry in the sun for a couple of days until completely dry and then store them in a paper envelope. I don't use plastic because if they aren't completely dried they will mold in plastic.

Reaction score
Another good post Chuck. Excellent point regarding using a paper envelope rather than plastic due to the mold factor. I have read a number of posts from people who had the mold and it was due to the fact that they had stored the seeds in plastic.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I don't wash my seeds, they go straight onto paper towel.

The reason I don't wash them, is that the juice surrounding the seeds contains natural tomato sugars, sugars which are left behind when the liquid evaporates.
When you sow the seeds and dampen the pot, this natural sugar will become available to the germinated seedlings, and will be their first nutrients.
A bit like Mother's milk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't wash my seeds, they go straight onto paper towel.

The reason I don't wash them, is that the juice surrounding the seeds contains natural tomato sugars, sugars which are left behind when the liquid evaporates.
When you sow the seeds and dampen the pot, this natural sugar will become available to the germinated seedlings, and will be their first nutrients.
A bit like Mother's milk.
I don't like for them to be stuck together and have paper sticking to them. It may help not to wash them but when a tomato falls off of a vine in nature it just lays there, gets rained on and cleaned by Mother Nature for a year. Anyway, try wax paper. They will dry almost as fast and are much easier to get apart. Oh, how did using molasses do for you? Could you see the diference?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like for them to be stuck together and have paper sticking to them. It may help not to wash them but when a tomato falls off of a vine in nature it just lays there, gets rained on and cleaned by Mother Nature for a year. Anyway, try wax paper. They will dry almost as fast and are much easier to get apart. Oh, how did using molasses do for you? Could you see the diference?
I didn't use it in isolation, and my results have tended to be variable, but my veg are the talk of the allotments, and I believe that molasses has had a positive influence, although I have seen such wonderful results from A-A compost tea.
I'd say very probably beneficial, but not quite proven.
I intend to continue to use it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't use it in isolation, and my results have tended to be variable, but my veg are the talk of the allotments, and I believe that molasses has had a positive influence, although I have seen such wonderful results from A-A compost tea.
I'd say very probably beneficial, but not quite proven.
I intend to continue to use it.
Did you put molasses in your tea or just use it as a soil drench and spray?

Ask a Question