Best fruit tree for dry summer

Reaction score
What do you think is the best fruit tree for an area that has a hot (85-90F) and dry, but humid climate during the summer? Would apple or pear trees require frequent watering?

Jed

Reaction score
What do you think is the best fruit tree for an area that has a hot (85-90F) and dry, but humid climate during the summer? Would apple or pear trees require frequent watering?
There's no reason for apples not to survive dry summers if the other seasons are cooler with rain. The humidity must come from rain I would have thought?:confused:
Unless you mean the winters are the hot dry months?
If the humidity is too high I should imagine apple trees suffering from fungal diseases.
Maybe a tamarind tree would like those conditions or the date palm.

Reaction score
Some other fruit trees you can consider for hot and and dry are prickly pear, quince, apricots, and dates. Your annual rainfall would be enough to support these. I have never watered any of my fruit trees, they just get rain water. I have had the most amazing apricot and date crops this year, that I all turned into jams, and an apricot and date chutney.

The best way to find the right tree however would be trail and error, and look at what trees are already planted in your surrounds.

Jed

Reaction score
Some other fruit trees you can consider for hot and and dry are prickly pear, quince, apricots, and dates. Your annual rainfall would be enough to support these. I have never watered any of my fruit trees, they just get rain water. I have had the most amazing apricot and date crops this year, that I all turned into jams, and an apricot and date chutney.

The best way to find the right tree however would be trail and error, and look at what trees are already planted in your surrounds.

Such good advise Yatte.
Prickly pear is a introduced weed in my country so it is one to look out for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prickly_pears_in_Australia

Apricots I just love. Your so lucky.:)
I tried years ago but the possums destroyed my trees so I gave up.

Reaction score
Jed that is just so sad, I love gardening especially my fruit trees, but ah, those pests. They sometimes turn every garden dream you might have into a garden nightmare.

I love my Prickly pears, they make the best jams, ice cream syrups and balsamic reductions for salads. In addition they are a great source of fiber, and water wise as well. I raked my head last night to think of some more fruit trees for dry humid weather, and remembered most citrus, especially limes would do well. So to would some grapes, mango, pineapple, dragon fruit, passion fruit and Avocado.

Jed

Reaction score
Maybe if I had a taste of Prickly pear I would not be so down on them but I know the farmers are concerned.
Sounds like you know a fair bit of this type of climate gardening being from South Africa.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Apples like a lot of water. How about a lemon tree? My friends grow one in an arid part of Spain and have big juicy lemons all year round.

Reaction score
Anna apple trees need significant amounts of heat to bloom successfully, making them appropriate for warm-climate plantings. Anna flowers are delicate and suffer frost damage easily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Apples like a lot of water. How about a lemon tree? My friends grow one in an arid part of Spain and have big juicy lemons all year round.

Lemon trees also like a lot of water. If there's not enough water the lemons won't be juicy. All citrus trees require ample watering. The advice from Yatte above is probably best, especially the part about varieties adapted to local climates. Most fruit producers are going to require water to be juicy.

Ask a Question