Best homegrown veggies & greens to add to fruit smoothies?

Reaction score
When I had a juicer, I often made smoothies which included carrots and spinach and such but I haven't been able to do this since my juicer broke.
Now, I drink smoothies nearly everyday using my blender or Magic Bullet. I'm really looking into experimenting with my blended smoothies by adding veggies and greens to them. Of course, the base will still be fruit (bananas, strawberries, different types of berries, mangoes, peaches, etc). I just want to add different things.

Does anyone have any favorite non-fruit smoothie additions that I should look into growing?

Reaction score
This isn't exactly related, but your post reminded me of my mom who used to make the best tomato juice I have ever had. Her second husband had a side business of selling produce at the flea market. When he had too many tomatoes she would make up some juice.

I remember it was a long process and she cleaned and chopped up boxes of tomatoes (I helped!) which she boiled and processed down into this incredible juice. I remember watching her strain it repeatedly with cheesecloth and a sieve. When it was all over, this stuff was clear and sparkling!

I wish I had the exact recipe. She tried it later with food processors, but could never duplicate the perfection with modern appliances.

It tasted like the elixir of the Gods!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Kale is a good one and so is spinach. My mom started doing this recently and you can't even taste the kale. She just ordered an emulsifier as well so I have a feeling she is about to turn into the juicing and smoothie monster, lol. If I had one of those things (it makes bread dough and soup!) I might get lazy and never cook again - especially in summer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Personally, I really like pea, strawberry, and banana smoothie. It sounds like a rather weird combination but believe me, it's delicious. The best thing about smoothies is that they're so healthy, I love them:D

Reaction score
I'm growing blueberries, blackberries (and now even a raspberry plant) and occasionally throw some into smoothies. Strawberries are another great addition, though I'm not growing any at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Personally, I really like pea, strawberry, and banana smoothie. It sounds like a rather weird combination but believe me, it's delicious. The best thing about smoothies is that they're so healthy, I love them:D

Claudine, I've been trying to imagine what it would taste like to have peas in my smoothie and I just can't get there, lol. Are you using frozen peas? Canned ones? Cooked ones? Peas pureed in a soup I get, but I don't know... When I think smoothie I think bananas, strawberries, pineapple, apple, melon... I usually have my green in salad or sautee, but peas, that's really different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, I've been trying to imagine what it would taste like to have peas in my smoothie and I just can't get there, lol. Are you using frozen peas? Canned ones? Cooked ones? Peas pureed in a soup I get, but I don't know... When I think smoothie I think bananas, strawberries, pineapple, apple, melon... I usually have my green in salad or sautee, but peas, that's really different.

I know, it's a little weird idea but it tastes really good:) . I use canned peas because they're softer. They're very delicate, so you have too add a lot of them, otherwise you'll barely taste them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, maybe if I barely taste them I will be more inclined to use them in my smoothie, lol. I always intend to get frozen ones I can toss into the rice cooker when I am making rice, but it never happens. My aunt buys the canned ones and heats them as a side for dinner some times, but I rarely think about them even though I like them.

Reaction score

Wow, I would never think to add peas. It's so strange that I just have to try it! I have a ton of cans of peas so I have no excuse to not experiment. I can't even imagine the flavor, so this should be an interesting experiment whether I end up enjoying the flavor it or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Well, I'm a big fan of canned peas and this is why I like adding them to many of my meals. I find them very delicious. One of my favorite snacks is canned peas with mayonnaise. But a smoothie with some peas is good too:)

Reaction score
I add spinach, kale, beet leaves, radish leaves, cucumbers, to banana and other fruits and nuts. My children get bored if it tastes the same.. two ingredients are constant in my case.. wheat grass and bananas. These form my base for my green smoothies. I love them. One way to get the kids to have veggies in a healthy form.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...But I would have to replace spinach with something else... Maybe I could replace it with a banana:D

I add spinach, kale, beet leaves, radish leaves, cucumbers, to banana and other fruits and nuts. My children get bored if it tastes the same.. two ingredients are constant in my case.. wheat grass and bananas. These form my base for my green smoothies. I love them. One way to get the kids to have veggies in a healthy form.

I was going to suggest kale instead of spinach since banana isn't exactly a substitute. Maddie, are you one of those mothers who sneaks veggies into stuff kids live to eat like spaghetti sauce and mac and cheese by grating and pureeing them?

My mom made a drink just now that is part smoothie and part agua fresca with kale, fruit, water, and nuts.

Ask a Question