Best homegrown veggies & greens to add to fruit smoothies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I know that green smoothies are one of the healthiest foods to have, but I am still getting used to the taste of drinking them, and just the look of drinking something that is Army Green colored. If they come out a pretty, vibrant green, then it is a little better, but still just strange tasting. I usually close my eyes, smell, and then drink. If I don't see it, and just smell how it will taste, it is much better to me.
I add spinach, kale, and dark lettuce, like romaine, to my smoothies.
I have been thinking that I will try a tomato juice smoothie with some of the hot mustard leaves in it to spice it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I was going to suggest kale instead of spinach since banana isn't exactly a substitute.

I've eaten kale only once so far and I really don't like it because it reminds me of spinach, lol:p . But thank you for the suggestion. I'm just not a big fan of leafy greens - except for broccoli, these I really love:D

Reaction score
I was going to suggest kale instead of spinach since banana isn't exactly a substitute. Maddie, are you one of those mothers who sneaks veggies into stuff kids live to eat like spaghetti sauce and mac and cheese by grating and pureeing them?

My mom made a drink just now that is part smoothie and part agua fresca with kale, fruit, water, and nuts.
Of course I am. How else can I get my older boy to eat healthy.. infact just this morning he said "Mom, just do anything to mask the taste and smell and I will drink it up, but don't tell me what you put into it.. " LOL that was my moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Happyflowerlady - I could never do that! I'm not big on spicy stuff and I just don't care for tomato drinks. I love the green juice from Odwalla and Naked brands so I would have no problem with green smoothies, though I would probably just add spirulina powder and eat my greens in salads or sautees.

@Claudine - I am a kale convert! I like the dragon kale the best, followed by the big leafy one - the curly one is okay, but it's harder to clean and dry, etc. I think that one is best for making kale chips, which I have yet to do. I love spinach and now I am a fan of rainbow chard as well, thanks to my local farmer's market - in fact I want to start growing it.

@Maddie - that is too funny! I think you just have to be sure to use sweet fruits like kiwi, banana, melon, and grapes - speaking of, guess what I got yesterday?

Ask a Question