Best fruit for Beginner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Tomatoes and cucumbers are probably quickest.
If you are in the Southern hemisphere, then autumn raspberries planted now will fruit end of January.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What's the easiest and fastest growing fruit for a backyard garden?
A lot depends on where you live and how long you plan to live there. Would you want to go to the expense of buying and planting a tree only to leave it to a landlord? If not then that leaves a container plant which will eliminate most trees. That leaves you with berries, lemon, lime, persimmon, pomegranite and probably others that I can't think of. Some of these you can get in dwarf varieties and on the lemon and lime you can keep them pruned to a manageable size so if you move you can take it with you when you move

Reaction score
Well, technically any part of the plant that produces the seed can be considered the 'fruit' so tomatoes and cucumbers would fall into that category but of course most people see them as vegetables. As far as 'sweet' fruits, I would say blackberry. It has to be maintained so it doesn't spread out of control but if you purchase one that is in it's 2nd year, it will bear.

Reaction score
A lot depends on where you live and how long you plan to live there. Would you want to go to the expense of buying and planting a tree only to leave it to a landlord? If not then that leaves a container plant which will eliminate most trees. That leaves you with berries, lemon, lime, persimmon, pomegranite and probably others that I can't think of. Some of these you can get in dwarf varieties and on the lemon and lime you can keep them pruned to a manageable size so if you move you can take it with you when you move
I live in mississippi which should be warm enough for lemons. How long does it take to produce an actual lemon? 6 months?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in mississippi which should be warm enough for lemons. How long does it take to produce an actual lemon? 6 months?
I bought a Myers from the nursery and it produced the first year. I don't know how old it was but it was about 3 ' tall. and came in a 20 gallon pot. They make a very nice indoor plant too if you have the room. You also have to take it inside if it is going to freeze. The fruits are about 3-4 times the size of a regular lemon and are delicious. If interested there are only 2 varieties IMO that are excellent, the Myers Improved and the Ponderosa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If I were you, I'd plant some berries. They're rather easy to grow and you won't have to wait long for the fruits. Also, they're really yummy and healthy. My favorite are raspberries and blueberries. They're very sweet, so they make a perfect dessert:)

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd plant some berries. They're rather easy to grow and you won't have to wait long for the fruits. Also, they're really yummy and healthy. My favorite are raspberries and blueberries. They're very sweet, so they make a perfect dessert:)
I guess i could make smoothies with them. Berries won't fill me up much though. lol

Ask a Question