Best Fruit Trees?

Reaction score
I was wondering, does anybody know what the best fruit trees are to grow in the NY area. We currently have a peach tree which does well but I would love to add some others as well. My daughters really enjoy picking the peaches in the summer and eating them right off the tree (after they are rinsed off of course) so I think it would be fun to have some other fruits like pears or apples. Any suggestions would be great!

Reaction score
Apples and pears are good for this area and plums do well too. It is fun picking the fruit right off of the tree an eating it on the spot.

Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't even think about plums. I didn't realize that they would do well in this region of the U.S. I will definitely have to look into a plum tree for next year! What about lemons and limes? Can they be grown in a container?

Reaction score
I was wondering, does anybody know what the best fruit trees are to grow in the NY area. We currently have a peach tree which does well but I would love to add some others as well. My daughters really enjoy picking the peaches in the summer and eating them right off the tree (after they are rinsed off of course) so I think it would be fun to have some other fruits like pears or apples. Any suggestions would be great!

As there are a multitude of different growing zones in New York State - my best advice would be to check out the local nurseries in your area - as what they stock in the way of fruit trees will be what grows best in your area.

However after saying that - as peach trees are the least hardy of all stone fruit and you are already very successfully growing a peach tree - it would probably be safe to say - that you could grow almost any of the other stone fruit varieties too - such as apricots, plums and cherries.

As for other fruits very definitely pears which as firelily has already mentioned pears do well particularly well in your area - as do many varieties of apples - it may even be that as you can grow stone fruit that figs would do too well too.

Yes all varieties of citrus can be grown in a container and probably the best choice if growing citrus trees in climate where winters are cold and especially lemon trees as they are one of the least hardy of all citrus varieties.

Reaction score
As there are a multitude of different growing zones in New York State - my best advice would be to check out the local nurseries in your area - as what they stock in the way of fruit trees will be what grows best in your area.

However after saying that - as peach trees are the least hardy of all stone fruit and you are already very successfully growing a peach tree - it would probably be safe to say - that you could grow almost any of the other stone fruit varieties too - such as apricots, plums and cherries.

As for other fruits very definitely pears which as firelily has already mentioned pears do well particularly well in your area - as do many varieties of apples - it may even be that as you can grow stone fruit that figs would do too well too.

Yes all varieties of citrus can be grown in a container and probably the best choice if growing citrus trees in climate where winters are cold and especially lemon trees as they are one of the least hardy of all citrus varieties.

Thank you so much for the information. We do grow figs too however because of the harsh winter we just had two of our three fig trees died. If we had covered them they probably would have made it through the winter.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the information. We do grow figs too however because of the harsh winter we just had two of our three fig trees died. If we had covered them they probably would have made it through the winter.

You are very welcome - but have to say that if your winters are harsh enough to kill a fig tree - then I wouldn't suggest trying to grow any form of citrus tree - as I think that you would be very disappointed - as it would most likely not survive such harsh conditions.

Reaction score
I would agree to try apples and pears. Have you tried cherries yet?

Reaction score
Apples and pears are good for this area and plums do well too. It is fun picking the fruit right off of the tree an eating it on the spot.
I think lemons are good to grow in that area also. I agree with apples being good because their is less apple scap up there i think because its not as humid.

Ask a Question