Bad sod on new construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all (new to forum, and new to lawn care),

Just bought a new construction house (this week). The developer laid sod about 2 months ago (March). It has inground sprinklers which are on and the sod has rooted into the soil. The plot is 0.6 acres so a decent amount of grass.

There are big seams and gaps everywhere! I attach a few pictures.After a bit of googling I think it’s Kentucky Bluegrass.

My plan was to mix some top soil, compost, and grass seed and fill all the gaps and just step compact into the seams. I was aiming to do this ASAP

Question:
Is that a good plan?
What watering regime should I use?
Anything else I should be doing at this time of year? (Top dressing the whole yard?)
I’m not convinced they rolled the grass very well, is there any value in doing that now?

038338DC-9504-4A34-AF0D-022427E9C15A.jpeg
8B7EFF6D-284E-4B71-968D-C153746039F1.jpeg

6A2BD693-5F3D-4B7B-804E-C7EF34739845.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
No need to roll it now, because its too late, and once the grass starts growing well the gaps will disappear. Your grass is just starting to grow and it will look much better by June. If it bothers you a lot you can fill in the cracks with reg top soil in the bag. You could mix 1:1 top soil and black cow and fill the cracks but no need for seeding.. You can check the sod and see if its taking root by gently lifting a piece of sod. If it feels stuck and the roots are in the ground leave them alone and let them grow. You are real close to having a beautiful green lawn so be patient, because it won't be long now. Here sod is guaranteed for the first year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Those shoes will not do. They say modern chemical if I have ever seen a shoe. Modern chemistry will work-in a zombie way, and it is the most expensive process in multiple ways. Hidden ways are health related. The weed treatment Atrazine used on St Aug grass turned 20% of male test frogs into females capable of bearing young. Keep your shoes on.

Just use black kow. The grass will fill in.

Last edited:

Ask a Question