Potting Mix Turned Bad and Smelly like Gutter

Reaction score
Country
India
I hv prepaired potting mix with sand, garden soil, goat dung and coco peat with the equal ratio and planted cucumber in 18 inch polybag 2 month back. Now my cucumber plant sunburned completely and I unbag the potting mix.
The bottom 4 inch layer of potting mix is turned blue-grayish and smelling like gutter. Can anyone help me why this happened.

Reaction score
Country
India
I used this bag. The size of holes was small but there were many holes at the bottom. And there was also good drainage. Excess water comes out daily.

Attachments

• 76407355-DC29-44A4-A1E3-BD7869C02C8B.jpeg
    76407355-DC29-44A4-A1E3-BD7869C02C8B.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 108
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm not very good at container gardening, since I plant everything in the ground, so I'm not the best person to give advice here. However, it sounds to me like you needed either larger holes and/or the bottom 4-inches of your container needs to have some other type material that does not hold water so well.

Ample Water + Zero Oxygen = Anaerobic decomposition. That's why good soil is well ventilated with ample air.

Ask a Question