Our bush beans are producing well but the leaves are turning leathery and dark. Is this a bad thing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
DSC_0130.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0131.JPG
    DSC_0131.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 182
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We did not use any fertilizer this year. We are new to this and are feeling our way.
You really should fertilize if you want a healthy productive garden. It makes a world of difference. Your beans are starving as evidenced by the dark green mottled with yellowing and the almost white leaves with green veins. I don't know how many beans you have produced but if you had fertilized I can guarantee it would have been a lot more. I am a strictly organic vegetable gardener. I recommend using only organic products in the garden whether it be fertilizer or fungicide. I would start using a pelleted dry fertilizer on everything. I would also go to the Organic Gardening thread on this forum and start reading it from the beginning. You will learn a lot.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Leathery and dark is normal for bean leaves that are well past peak production and are likely in decline. The oldest leaves do that prior to a normal decline.

The leaf showing below those in the photo has some rust on it and is showing stress...a sign of fungus. Since you have already gotten good production, I wouldn't do anything to these. Bush beans don't have much of a life span after peak production....at least those I've grown for decades. You will need to rotate your planting next year and keep a close eye out for the rust.

I'd say well done on your first attempt and enjoy the produce.

Ask a Question