Are we having Global Warming, or not ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree that there does seem to be ofa global warming issue! I live in the Pacific Northwest and there has not been a good blanket of snow in a couple of years in my area of the state! This is unfair and unheard of. I also saw that the weather forcast is calling for temperatures in the high 80's for the next week, and although I am not complaining, this is also pretty much unheard of here for this early in the summer.
It is much cooler here in Texas, it hasn't reached 100F yet and that is unheard of. Like Bees said "It's weather, not climate."

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting video, explaining the difference between weather and climate. The climate in my area is changing. It is July and it still get cool in the evenings here, that is not normal for this area. In July the Mid-Atlantic area is blistering all day and night. It has taken so long to get warm here I did not plant a garden for fear the nights would be too cool.

Also we are getting so much rain the plants are having trouble drying out, the soil is staying too damp causing root damage.

Something is going on, are world is changing and not for the better. We need to reduce the amount of waste and learn to save more of the natural resources. We have seen those movies about the destroying of the earth and just think it is a movie, it would serve us well to wake up and look around while we still can. What are we leaving our kids and grand kids. It scares me. Just look at the bees almost gone then what?

Reaction score
The problem with this debate is that originally, when we first started talking about this issue, and honestly we've been aware of its since the late 1700's or early 1800s if I remember right, it was called global warming. Which is now an issue because opponents often say, 'Oh well but it's snowing in July so global warming is fake!'

Which is why people who actually understand the science have called it global climate change for quite some time now. That and because we now know it isn't just as simple as things getting warmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The problem with this debate is that originally, when we first started talking about this issue, and honestly we've been aware of its since the late 1700's or early 1800s if I remember right, it was called global warming. Which is now an issue because opponents often say, 'Oh well but it's snowing in July so global warming is fake!'

Which is why people who actually understand the science have called it global climate change for quite some time now. That and because we now know it isn't just as simple as things getting warmer.
So true. The climate is continually changing. 20000 years ago the temperature was at least 30F cooler than now, back in the days of the mastadon and wooly mammoths. It then warmed up for a for a few thousand years and then it became what is now known as the Little Ice Age. Did man cause all this up and down movement? What makes us think this is any different? I forgot... the government tells us so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Govt's need to raise the revenues they have lost since their tax cuts for the rich, and their very successful campaigns against the use of tobacco.
The problem with all other pollution issues surrounding the use of fossil fuels is that they logically call for BANNING or ISOLATION of those fuels, and reduced usage is the last thing that these govt's want.
So, provide scientists with enough money to make a lucrative career of chicanery, and keep the other 95% as added revenues, getting every instance of extreme weather, anywhere on the globe, on the six o'clock news, so that the population is bombarded into believing.

I think you can safely say, from Chuck's posts, and mine, on the use of petro-chemicals in the garden, that neither of us "pro-oil", or funded by fossil fuel companies, so that's the standard argument gone.

By the way, the Polar Ice Caps formed at an atmospheric CO2 level of 600ppm.
We've yet to reach 400ppm.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Like Bees says, atmospheric CO2 is at its lowest point since the Carboniferous period when the coal was formed. It's been thousands of times higher in the Jurassic period and others. Sea level has been higher in the past and will be again sometime in the future.

There's nothing wrong with saving energy, i've been off grid for months now (this post is brought to you by solar power :))

But at the end of the day, the only thing the climate is really dependant on is Solar output. If the Sun goes into another hibernation period then we will get another ice age.

We survived the last one, there were only a few people around. Where we gonna put the entire population of Canada, the northern states of America, Northern Europe and Russia ?

Where I am at the moment was permafrost 10,000 years ago, if I were on top of the hill I would have been able to see the edge of the 2 mile high ice sheet that stretched from Bristol to London :eek:

Reaction score
So true. The climate is continually changing. 20000 years ago the temperature was at least 30F cooler than now, back in the days of the mastadon and wooly mammoths. It then warmed up for a for a few thousand years and then it became what is now known as the Little Ice Age. Did man cause all this up and down movement? What makes us think this is any different? I forgot... the government tells us so.
No, actual science tells us so.

Whether or not the current climate is changed exclusively by man is not the argument that scientists make. What they do say is that we've made it a lot worse, to the point where we've pushed it far beyond the limits of what would be 'natural' up and down.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
But we haven't. They're lying to us and i'm not really sure why.

Atmospheric CO2 is lower now than at almost any point in the last 300 million years.

In the Jurassic period it was over 4000 ppm, without looking it up I think it's about 380 ppm now.

Sea levels were higher in the jurassic, but there was still plenty of land.

We do need to conserve what oil and coal we have though, no question about that. We'll need it to keep ourselves warm when the ice sheets start rolling again. Don't know what we're going to live off though, unless we can farm the whole of the equatorial region.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, actual science tells us so.

Whether or not the current climate is changed exclusively by man is not the argument that scientists make. What they do say is that we've made it a lot worse, to the point where we've pushed it far beyond the limits of what would be 'natural' up and down.
What science? I hear all about consensus but no real science. I hear continually about the oceans rising because of the "melting icecaps". I have yet to see a single island out in the ocean somewhere where the sealevel is rising. For instance, the Rock of Gibralter. The sealevel is the exact same now as it 100 years ago. There were iron pitons drilled into the rock to anchor cables and those pitons are still the same height above the water. Why aren't pacific atolls being submerged? The atolls that Capt Cook discovered were barely above water 200 years ago and yet they are still there. Why don't you ever see any news broadcasts of island natives being forced to flee their homes because of rising sea levels? You don't see it because it isn't happening. What is happening is 2 things. We are much more attuned to what is happening with the weather because of todays instant media and second, a government agenda in search of more power being aided and abeited by that same media.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But we haven't. They're lying to us and i'm not really sure why.

Atmospheric CO2 is lower now than at almost any point in the last 300 million years.

In the Jurassic period it was over 4000 ppm, without looking it up I think it's about 380 ppm now.

Sea levels were higher in the jurassic, but there was still plenty of land.

We do need to conserve what oil and coal we have though, no question about that. We'll need it to keep ourselves warm when the ice sheets start rolling again. Don't know what we're going to live off though, unless we can farm the whole of the equatorial region.
Never fear Zigs. Global warming will insure we'll never be cold again. Just think of the money saved on heating bills. The cooling bill will go up but don't worry. We will all be enjoying the ocean sea breezes as we will all be living on boats because the global warming will have melted every last ice cube left on earth. I am going to get me a big barge and float around growing tomatoes on it

Reaction score
It is much cooler here in Texas, it hasn't reached 100F yet and that is unheard of. Like Bees said "It's weather, not climate."
Climate is Weather and Weather is Climate.
Climate is a measure of the average pattern of variation in temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, precipitation, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological variables in a given region over long periods of time.

Reaction score
http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=12781
"The new report reaffirms that the preponderance of scientific evidence points to human activities -- especially the release of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere -- as the most likely cause for most of the global warming that has occurred over the last several decades"
I think I'm going to believe these guys with the degrees and years of schooling and research over the guys in a garden web forum....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Have you any idea how many handsomely-paid scientific jobs are absolutely dependant upon anthropogenic-co2 climate change?

Reaction score
If you can actually back up what your saying with facts then maybe it'd be a little more believable. But no one has stated where they have gotten their information. From here it just sounds like facts made out of no where. If your going to argue a point you should have something to back it up. Just provide links to where you get your information from.
That's all I'm saying. Not trying to offend anyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=12781
"The new report reaffirms that the preponderance of scientific evidence points to human activities -- especially the release of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere -- as the most likely cause for most of the global warming that has occurred over the last several decades"
I think I'm going to believe these guys with the degrees and years of schooling and research over the guys in a garden web forum....
Thanks for the 2011 report of some scholars. I didn't see data. There is no proof only speculation. Where is proof of man made climate change? A warmer than normal winter in Washington State? A drought in Texas? A flood in Europe? Tornados in the mid-west? Anectdotal evidence is not science. Empirical evidence presented by likeminded scholars is not science. Science is irrefutable data and it isn't there. As I am sure you remember, all the so called data presented so far has been flawed or downright fabricated as evidenced by all those accidentaly released Emails perpertrated by a rigged computer model designed by activists scholars such as the ones in the report. I wonder why these socalled scientific scholars don't report on the CO2, methane and other gasses found in Artic and Antartic ice cores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question