My Aloe plant is having babies?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Everybody! I have this huge aloe plant inside and it has started to make little aloe plants! Is it safe to try and dig out the little plants and repot them? Also, I have an issue where the mother plant is getting so big it is falling over. Is the best course of action to just put a stick next to it for it to lean on? Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
I have re-potted my Aloe plant before. I haven't tried doing it with the babies, but I think it'll be safe to transfer them. I would just make sure to have a nice chunk of dirt around them for transplanting. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have aloe vera since 2001. It is prolific and easy to grow. For the babies, I would suggest that you make sure there are roots before you separate it from the mother plant. Plant it in a plastic pot with rich soil to assure fast growth. For more security, wait for other babies to sprout before you get one for transplanting so that when you fail, you have a fallback for another transplanting.

Reaction score
If you are planning to repot or separate the baby aloe vera plants from its mother plants make sure that it is really the right time already for their repotting. Then you have to prepare a new pot for them and a ceramic or clay pot is much better than a plastic pot. Then if you are already preparing for the repotting be sure to pull it slowly and gently from the soil with your hand and then trim their roots connecting to their mother plants before repotting them to a new pot. Put them first in a cool place maybe for three days before you place them in a direct sunlight. My mother had many aloe vera plants in our garden in my home country. And this is what she is always doing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was thinking along the line as @ReadmeByAmy and that is the baby plants must be strong enough for repotting. Too soon and too young the baby plants won't make it. It happened to me before when I took the baby plants from my mom's pot and tried to create a pot for myself. None of them made it. They were not ready.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome, thanks for the input everybody! Is there really a difference between pots made out of different material (ceramic vs plastic, etc)? I just noticed that you specifically said not to use plastic.

Reaction score
I was thinking along the line as @ReadmeByAmy and that is the baby plants must be strong enough for repotting. Too soon and too young the baby plants won't make it. It happened to me before when I took the baby plants from my mom's pot and tried to create a pot for myself. None of them made it. They were not ready.

Yes like what I had said be sure that it is really the right time to do the repotting and the baby plants are already strong enough before you separate it from its mother plant and you must really be very careful when you will trim the roots connecting the two of them because it is the one that gives life to a plant.

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the input everybody! Is there really a difference between pots made out of different material (ceramic vs plastic, etc)? I just noticed that you specifically said not to use plastic.

Yes a ceramic or clay pot is much better than a plastic pot because it had wider space and are durable and can hold the aloe vera plants to let them grow healthy. My mother had many aloe vera plants in our gardens and she planted them all in this kind of pots.

Reaction score
And one thing the newly repotted baby aloe vera plant don't water it for at least one week before you water it again to allow the roots to dry first and be strong again and to avoid decaying.

Ask a Question