The Beauty of having a Herb Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Nassau: Annual Weather Averages. July is the hottest month in Nassau with an average temperature of 28°C (82°F) and the coldest is January at 21°C (70°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 10 in August. The wettest month is July with an average of 220mm of rain.
Country
Bahamas
Herb is so amazing because of the many benefits that they have. I love to cook with herbs, A nurse told me many years ago that your meals don't have to be highly seasoned to taste great. The key is using less salt while adding more herbs

Some of my favorite herbs that I love to cook with includes, garlic, rosemary, chives, basil, thyme just to name a few. These herbs do not only give your foods a great flavor but the aroma is just out of this world. Herbs can also be used to make teas, they contain vitamins and has healing properties to heal different type of sickness and can also prevent certain aliments.

Somes herbs are even used to keep insects and other rodents out of the garden area. Herbs are so awesome you just gotta love them. What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Norman, I spent a very happy morning today making marinara sauce, using our home-grown garlic, oregano, parsley, onions, and of course, tomatoes. Being able to go out and clip the herbs is such a pleasure, and knowing how they have been grown is also comforting.
We use very little salt in cooking, but a lot of sage, oregano, basil, flat-leaf parsley, and dill. I preserve herbs frozen in oil, dried, and of course, fresh. "You just gotta love them." Oh yes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Nassau: Annual Weather Averages. July is the hottest month in Nassau with an average temperature of 28°C (82°F) and the coldest is January at 21°C (70°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 10 in August. The wettest month is July with an average of 220mm of rain.
Country
Bahamas
Hello, marlingardener, Thanks so much for sharing. Herbs are just so amazing so let's continue to grow them, use them, and spread the good news about them. All the best to you my dare friend and have a good day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I grow some Basil, Dill, Rosemary, Oregano, Sage, Thyme and Mint. I usually grow from seed but I was late this year and so bought some plants. I agree Norman, herbs are amazing. I especially love to have a pot or two of mint close to my chair on the patio. I can sit there for hours and watch the bees working the blooms.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have mint which i never use, but I just love rosemary with my chicken Sunday roast. Very aromatic. Also love basil. Bought one tub reduced and I'm going to make spaghetti probably tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I love herbs too!
I've got basil, holy basil, dill, marjoram, savory, chives, rosemary, oregano and several types of thymes and mints growing around the yard and in the garden.
I've also got a lot of useful flowering stuff like borage, chamomile, comfrey and lemon and bee balms.
I figured out last year that they can be dried pretty easily by simply putting them in a brown paper bag in the refrigerator for a couple weeks, so I went a little crazy with herbs this year. :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love herbs too! Aside from being healthly, they add flavor to our foods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Absolutely love dill. Hands down is my favorite.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Tech, I share your love of dill. Do you ever pack a wine jar with as much dill as you can cram into it, then fill it with white vinegar, cap it, and let it steep for 4 to 6 weeks in a cool, dark spot (I put it in the pantry). A drizzle of the dill vinegar over tomatoes, cucumbers, lightly steamed green beans--delicious!

Ask a Question