The beauty of Gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Nassau: Annual Weather Averages. July is the hottest month in Nassau with an average temperature of 28°C (82°F) and the coldest is January at 21°C (70°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 10 in August. The wettest month is July with an average of 220mm of rain.
Country
Bahamas
Hello everyone, my former director once told me that gardening is both art and science. The art comes in when we take an undeveloped piece of land or a small area and bring trees, shrubs, grass, flowering plants, mulch, wood chips etc and bring totally change to that area. That's a work of art.

The science comes in when it comes to soil, fertilizers, chemicals. Introducing IPM and all of that good stuff. This field is just so amazing and can serve so many purpose. So in a way, I guess you can say that we are and artist/ scientist. What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
At your level Norman, you are an artistic scientist. On my level, I'm just someone who likes to dig in the dirt and hope for the best!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
smayliki-privetstvie-299.gif @Norman R Richards

Gardening is an ancient art.
However, modern gardening, like all agriculture, is inextricably linked with science.
Botany - without comment.
Chemistry - nobody canceled the use of mineral fertilizers.
Physics is the heating and cooling of the soil.
Mathematics is the calculation of proportions.
Aesthetics - beauty is a terrible power.
A special section of linguistics, which studies filthy language that can not be pronounced in a decent society ..
Practical use:
1. If the crop is very small.
2. If the crop is very large.
Fortunately, gardening will never become a pure science.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
What amazes me is that we all garden and i think each one of us does it in a unique way and from a different perspective but art and science are part of the process. In my case, working with mother nature is never predictable so luck plays a big role, good luck and bad luck, and the never ending opportunity to learn new things.

Fortunately, gardening will never become a pure science
I agree, because mother nature always has the last word.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I look at planting flowers as an art. I have to arrange the various flowers for the sizes and different colors. It is like creating a painting.

Ask a Question