American Beautyberry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I recently realized that a plant which I had misidentified many years ago due to an incorrect schoolbook is not indigo, but rather American Beautyberry, which has a beautiful edible berry. The ripe berry is a beautiful indigo color, although I understand it may come in paler colors. It is currently in bloom, once the berries are ripe I will post a picture of it with berries.I understand it makes a great jelly, but is too astringent to eat in bulk when raw.
beautyberry.JPG
beautyberry.JPG

Attachments

• beautyberry.JPG
    beautyberry.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 370
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten beautyberries. What a lovely, lovely name!:) I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of them. How big are they usually?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I found an old picture. The plant can grow into a nice bush , I currently have two that are about 4 feet tall and an least 6 feet wide, but not heavily bushy,
271009165718.jpg
The berries are more than a quarter inch in diameter.The bushes are currently a little busier, I will be pruning them to make them bushier. I apologize for not being able to figure out how to rotate the photo.
271009165718.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I make a insect repellant from the leaves that is much better than commercial insect repellants and yes you can make jelly from the berries.

Take the leaves (and you can also use the berries if you want), place them in a pint jar and cover with rubbing alcohol. Leave for 3-5 days and then strain off the leaves. I put the liquid in a small spray bottle that I get at the dollar store and "spritz" it on me when I need to repel biting insects.

Here's a few links for more info on the insect repellant

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natu...ry-natural-insect-repellent-zmaz09amzraw.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060703091932.htm

http://www.preppergarden.biz/Beautyberry-for-Preppers-p/wld-beautyberry.htm

Reaction score
Country
United States
American Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) is native to the southeastern United States, as well as Cuba, Bermuda, and the Bahamas. The genus Callicarpa is now placed in the MInt Family (Lamiaceae), though earlier treatments included it in the related Vervain Family (Verbenaceae). The shrub is often planted as an ornamental for its exceedingly vibrant berries, in hues of pink, magenta and purple.
There are also numerous records of Beautyberries being edible, though many sources suggestthat they not be eaten in large amounts unless cooked. As with any unfamiliar food source, proceed with caution.

Ask a Question