Having problems with my indoor seed starts

Reaction score
I was watering daily when things started wilting, i've cut back to light watering every other day and things look worse.

IMG_1253.jpg IMG_1254.jpg IMG_1255.jpg IMG_1256.jpg

I have these in my basement, 16 hours of light daily

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
do you think I'm watering too much? too little?
I think too much. Is there a fan or something to provide air movement and thus evaporation. I also think your tomatoes shoud be seperately re-potted, the greens thinned and everything moved outdoors in it isn't freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there and welcome to the forum! The soil looks very wet, so I'd agree with Chuck that they are probably getting too much water rather than too little.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, there is a good chance that your plants are wilting because the roots have rotted and they can no longer take up water.
If they don't respond within a few days, ditch the lot and start again, although frankly I wouldn't wait, I'd do that now.

Reaction score
It is hard to tell from just looking at photos, but they look really wet. Do the plastic trays under the pots drain? If you can, take them out of the trays and let them drip for a few hours. Another potential problem is humidity. If the air contains too much water, the natural evapotranspiration process is inhibited. This will slow down the uptake if nutrients from the soil and into the new growth. Warm and wet environments also promote the growth of fungus and mildew which can harm the seedlings and the spores are natural in most homes. Ensure that you have good airflow or move them outside for a while when it is nice enough to do so. My final suggestion has to do with the type of light that you are using. Is it a proper grow light? It required both intensity and the correct wavelengths of light in order for plants to grow properly. If it isn't bright enough or the right type of light, this could be an issue.

Reaction score
Root rot is a common problem for people when they are new to growing from seed. The little roots on the seedlings simply are not designed to take in as much water as they are getting. The tomatoes need their own pot or tray cell right now and the other seedlings probably do too.

Ask a Question