Are these tomatoes???

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi guys, so I'm an enthusiastic herb gardener but relatively new to it. Among others I grow tomatoes. I love the smell of the plant which stays on your fingers when you rub the plant. About a month ago I noticed a plant growing in a different area, that looks a lot like a tomato plant but yet when touched, did not have that distinct smell. Although I suspected it to be a weed I decided to let it grow to see if it would fruit. Now I have these fruits growing, although they do look like tomatoes, at the same time, I've never had tomatoes grow here and the colouring seems a bit different. Also although the plant now does have a tomato smell, it's very faint. Could anyone advise me. Are these maybe second generation tomatoes from seeds that maybe spread or is it a member of a more poisonous nightshade?
IMG_20230626_140159.jpg
IMG_20230626_140159.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, that's a tomato with fruit. Going by what some varieties of the tomatoes I grow look like, your example might be a dark colored/purple tomato such as a Black Krim or Cherokee Purple.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Yep, that's a tomato with fruit. Going by what some varieties of the tomatoes I grow look like, your example might be a dark colored/purple tomato such as a Black Krim or Cherokee Purple.
Oh, that's so strange! I wonder how it got here lol. Well thanks, at least I know it's nothing to worry about ☺️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is exactly what struck my thought.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Oh, that's so strange! I wonder how it got here lol. Well thanks, at least I know it's nothing to worry about ☺️
I'm a bit confused as to how this would have ended up in my garden! I don't think I've ever even seen it in the shops here. now I'm really interested to see how (what) they develop (into) ☺️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm a bit confused as to how this would have ended up in my garden! I don't think I've ever even seen it in the shops here. now I'm really interested to see how (what) they develop (into) ☺️
You will probably have to stake it up to keep it off of the ground. Just keep it moist and lightly fertilized and in a full sun condition. Keep us posted. I find this quite hilarious. Many folks on this forum have difficulties in growing tomatoes and here you are with a healthy plant with a full truss of tomatoes, something you didin't plant and not really knowing what it is. Perhaps you should enter the Green Thumb Of The Year contest.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
You will probably have to stake it up to keep it off of the ground. Just keep it moist and lightly fertilized and in a full sun condition. Keep us posted. I find this quite hilarious. Many folks on this forum have difficulties in growing tomatoes and here you are with a healthy plant with a full truss of tomatoes, something you didin't plant and not really knowing what it is. Perhaps you should enter the Green Thumb Of The Year contest.
Hahahaha brilliant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I get random tomatoes all the time, they're like a weed for us. Close to 40 of them so far this year. One summer I pulled up and gave away almost 250 seedlings, Cherry tomatoes are evil.

This year most of the randoms got put in tubs in front of the house, we'll let them go wild, no stakes, no watering. Just to see how they do. There's about 8 scattered throughout the garden, some quite healthy looking.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I get random tomatoes all the time, they're like a weed for us. Close to 40 of them so far this year. One summer I pulled up and gave away almost 250 seedlings, Cherry tomatoes are evil.

This year most of the randoms got put in tubs in front of the house, we'll let them go wild, no stakes, no watering. Just to see how they do. There's about 8 scattered throughout the garden, some quite healthy looking.
I they really are like weeds lol. I recon somehow some seed got there. Well we'll soon see what they become ☺️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It doesn't take much for a seed to stick to something and travel.

Potatoes can be trouble too. We occasionally toss bad potatoes into the garden and get random potatoes, only about 6 plants this year, probably because I didn't till and spread the chunks.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
It doesn't take much for a seed to stick to something and travel.

Potatoes can be trouble too. We occasionally toss bad potatoes into the garden and get random potatoes, only about 6 plants this year, probably because I didn't till and spread the chunks.
Oh I have a lot of problems growing potatoes. Tried for the first time 2 years ago, but at the time I lived in a flat so grew them in a pot. I did get potatoes but the smallest, albeit most perfect, little potatoes. This year after waiting months for some to happen, I'm finally seeing growth. Fingers crossed I get potatoes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would check very carefully that those fruits are not on a potato plant as then they would be very poisonous. Same family so the fruits do look the same.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I would check very carefully that those fruits are not on a potato plant as then they would be very poisonous. Same family so the fruits do look the same.
Wow! I thought you had to be trolling but I looked it up. I would never have guessed that these would grow from potato plants 😯 I will keep a close eye, however at first glance the leaves look different 👍 thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It is one of the most frequent questions asked about Potatoes. "There are tomatoes on my potato plants, are they edible?"
Solanum tuberosum is the botanical name for potatoes and Solanum lycopersicum is the tomato.

Ask a Question