Are these tomatoes???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow! I thought you had to be trolling but I looked it up. I would never have guessed that these would grow from potato plants 😯 I will keep a close eye, however at first glance the leaves look different 👍 thanks
As they are sometimes called, potato seed balls rarely get much bigger than 1 inch in diameter. Your picture appears to show that these green "balls" are much larger than 1 inch. Also, potato seed balls are a solid color, unlike in your image where the shoulder of the fruit is much darker than the rest of the fruit.

Basically all of the purple tomatoes have these green shoulders. Also, many of the purple tomatoes are hybrids although I don't believe yours is, which is why I think it is either a Black Krim or Cherokee Purple.

Potato blooms are nearly always white although some varieties are a lavendar/bluish color. Tomato blooms are always yellow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
As they are sometimes called, potato seed balls rarely get much bigger than 1 inch in diameter. Your picture appears to show that these green "balls" are much larger than 1 inch. Also, potato seed balls are a solid color, unlike in your image where the shoulder of the fruit is much darker than the rest of the fruit.

Basically all of the purple tomatoes have these green shoulders. Also, many of the purple tomatoes are hybrids although I don't believe yours is, which is why I think it is either a Black Krim or Cherokee Purple.

Potato blooms are nearly always white although some varieties are a lavendar/bluish color. Tomato blooms are always yellow.
This is all super interesting, you learn something new every day, although I'm not so sure about the Black Krim or Cherokee Purple as I just don't see how that would have ended up in my garden. I've never seen those kind of tomatoes around here. But who knows, only time will tell ☺️

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The fruits we have had on our potatoes have looked exactly like the fruit on the tomato plants and about the same size too. At the moment the potatoes in our small veg plot are flowering and they are all purplish coloured rather than white. One other thing about tomato seeds, they are designed to germinateafter they have been through the digestive system of primates. Years ago when we could get hold of sterilised sewerage sludge, we used to get a great number of tomato plants coming up where we used it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys, so I'm an enthusiastic herb gardener but relatively new to it. Among others I grow tomatoes. I love the smell of the plant which stays on your fingers when you rub the plant. About a month ago I noticed a plant growing in a different area, that looks a lot like a tomato plant but yet when touched, did not have that distinct smell. Although I suspected it to be a weed I decided to let it grow to see if it would fruit. Now I have these fruits growing, although they do look like tomatoes, at the same time, I've never had tomatoes grow here and the colouring seems a bit different. Also although the plant now does have a tomato smell, it's very faint. Could anyone advise me. Are these maybe second generation tomatoes from seeds that maybe spread or is it a member of a more poisonous nightshade?View attachment 97832View attachment 97832
Definitely tomatoes and they sure look like my favorite: Cherokee purple. Lucky you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fruits we have had on our potatoes have looked exactly like the fruit on the tomato plants and about the same size too. At the moment the potatoes in our small veg plot are flowering and they are all purplish coloured rather than white. One other thing about tomato seeds, they are designed to germinateafter they have been through the digestive system of primates. Years ago when we could get hold of sterilised sewerage sludge, we used to get a great number of tomato plants coming up where we used it.
Yes. I toured our local sewage treatment plant many many years ago. The one thing I learned, apart from scary facts re: primary, secondary and tertiary screening of sewage dumped in our ocean, is that tomato seeds are terrific survivors. If you get sewage sludge to beef up your garden soil, you will get tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are numerous ways for an errant seed to be in your soil. It could be in your potting soil. It could be accidentally mixed in with other seeds. It could be from a bird making a deposit. This happens all the time. You are lucky. Most times it is a plant that is not desirable that pops up

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
There are numerous ways for an errant seed to be in your soil. It could be in your potting soil. It could be accidentally mixed in with other seeds. It could be from a bird making a deposit. This happens all the time. You are lucky. Most times it is a plant that is not desirable that pops up
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I should mention that I live in Portugal. I've tried to see on the net if these tomatoes are ever found here and I couldn't find anything 😒 of course that doesn't mean that they're not. We'll soon find out 👍

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I should mention that I live in Portugal. I've tried to see on the net if these tomatoes are ever found here and I couldn't find anything 😒 of course that doesn't mean that they're not. We'll soon find out 👍
They may not be Cherokee Purples. All I am saying is that they look exactly them. I am sure Europe has tomato varieties we have never heard of in the USA.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
They may not be Cherokee Purples. All I am saying is that they look exactly them. I am sure Europe has tomato varieties we have never heard of in the USA.
For sure, like I said we'll find out soon enough. I'm so curious to see what they turn out to be.

Ask a Question