JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Western Chorus Frog in one of my birdhouse gardens.
IMG_1412 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
'No Name' the Pheasant in my avatar hasn't visited for nearly a week. He's arrived almost every day to be fed in the last two years and was very close to feeding from my hand. But sadly I think he's come to a natural end. He was also going through a bad moult which wouldn't have helped. I've been doing a little reading and apparently they live for about three years in the wild, up to eight in captivity, not very long at all considering they spend some of that time avoiding traffic and guns during the shooting season. Hens usually lay between seven and fifteen eggs, producing just one clutch a year between April and June. A few of the chicks will die before leaving the nest, so mortality rate is not good at all.

Pheasant (1).JPG

I'll miss him chatting away to me while he fed - and the raucous calls at the end of my garden letting the world know he was around. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Had a Great Egret visit the yard yesterday, they usually spend time in the marsh, but occasionally they like a change of diet, i.e. lizards.

Before I got my camera out I saw him snatch a dragonfly out of the air -- very fast.

001.JPG
002.JPG
006.JPG
004.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
71917411_10215384324898079_2711699757780172800_n.jpg
Not a great photo since I was inside and used my phone. This female coyote has been coming to my yard to steal apples from my tree. I am keeping the apples picked up since I don't want to become a food source. I knew they were around but until recently I had never seen one.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't think that i would get the hedgehogs last night, but when i got up this morning at 5am some of the food had gone. But i don't know if they will tonight because it's turned colder.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Didn't think that i would get the hedgehogs last night, but when i got up this morning at 5am some of the food had gone. But i don't know if they will tonight because it's turned colder.

why do u want them to come back and ruin your crop?

Ask a Question