Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Country
United States

I get this little opossum visiting almost every night, I think he's adorable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My son lives in Ohio and just recently an animal has been eating his tomatoes that are still attached to the plants. Any ideas what it might be please? I didn't think animals would eat them knowing their consistency and flavour but I've obviously been proved wrong. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My son lives in Ohio and just recently an animal has been eating his tomatoes that are still attached to the plants. Any ideas what it might be please? I didn't think animals would eat them knowing their consistency and flavour but I've obviously been proved wrong. :)
Is the entire tomato eaten or just a bite or two. Are they green tomatoes or colored. Here in the states many animals love tomatoes. From mice to moose and just about everything in between. This year many of my green tomatoes were eaten by deer. They knocked the tomatoes off of the plant and then took 2 or 3 big bites before doing it again. Racoons and possums usually eat about 1/3 of a tomato. Rats and mice just take a few small bites before moving on the next tomato. I hear ground hogs love tomatoes but thankfully they aren't in Texas. And squirrels...................................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently the whole tomato was taken @Chuck and the stem it was attached to broken. The tomato was ripe/red. I think we can rule out deer or moose, my son lives amongst flat, open, agricultural farmland. Racoons and Possums are a possibility. Would Skunks take them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Apparently the whole tomato was taken @Chuck and the stem it was attached to broken. The tomato was ripe/red. I think we can rule out deer or moose, my son lives amongst flat, open, agricultural farmland. Racoons and Possums are a possibility. Would Skunks take them?
It could be a skunk but I have never seen them eat vegetables. They get into my garden but all they do is dig up worms and grubs. If I were a betting man I would bet on coons or possums. I don't know if there are coyotes there or not but they also love fresh vegetables. I shot one last year while it was eating a cantaloupe I was going to pick the next morning.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Goldfinches have been a common sight in the garden now that the coneflowers are producing seed.
IMG_1149 copy.jpg

I had a Viceroy butterfly today, which I've only seen in the garden a few times over the years.
IMG_1198 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your Goldfinch looks similar to our Greenfinch @JBtheExplorer.

View attachment 57815

This is our Goldfinch.
View attachment 57816

Our female goldfinch is dull, but the males are bright yellow.
I have your European goldfinches, too. :)
I can't remember whether I shared this photo here or not, but here's a photo from spring when both American and European goldfinches were eating from my feeder.

IMG_9736 copy.jpg

Ask a Question