Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This Black Swallowtail showed up today. IIRC it is a tad early for them but I saw a Giant Yellow Swallowtail a few days ago. Just another sign of Spring is coming.

IMG_0002.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Mocking birds are great at catching insects in flight, never see them at the birdfeeders eating seeds. However, I do see them eating (besides bugs) tons of berries and other fruits, so I can see them eating tomatoes and peaches.

I allow many berry-producing plants to grow and it seems to keep them happy and away from my tomatoes, although I did once have a blueberry bush that I purchased and could only harvest one or two berries off of it:cry:

Some of the plants/weeds I allow to grow to appease our state bird: Pokeweed, Beauty berry, American Nightshade, various greenbrier vines in the Smilacaceae family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a rural area @Logan and fences here are mostly four strips of wire running across posts. This is the only image I have to show you. If you're curious about the log, it now has a bird bath on top. :)

071.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Love the pigeon Martin :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
These are common ground doves (best I can tell from ID'ing on the internet).

What's interesting about these birds is that I see them roosting in my garden a lot (on the ground) and they've gotten so use to me that they are very reluctant to fly away when I walk up to them, most of the time I don't see them until they start walking way -- I've gotten as close a meter to them and they don't fly away, even though they're up against a fence.

They also remind me of love birds, since they're always very close to one another, often resting against one another when roosting.

003.JPG

Ask a Question