Animals in your garden

Reaction score

That is right :) Took them a while ago when I was still gardening a lot, no longer growing many things right now because I am moving to a different country soon. I am actually still giving away some plants, trying to find a new home for my calla lilies right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I envy you guys! Such awesome wildlife! Sadly where I'm at right now only has sparrows, pigeons, robins, evil Canadian geese and other generic creatures. Further out in the country there may be some cardinals and gorgeous swallowtail butterflies but that's about it. Indiana isn't really teeming with diverse wildlife.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
OK so the thread title is animals, not WILD animals. So I'm taking liberty here. About a month ago I took in a litter of 5-week-old feral kittens with severe upper respiratory infections because their eyes and noses kept gluing shut and they would have died otherwise. They all carry the herpes virus, unfortunately. Two are headed off to a rescue in about 10 days, once they get spay/neutered but I decided to keep one - Stanley.
Here he is stalking things (and me) in the back yard. So far he's good about coming when called, he follows the dogs in and out and so stays inside with them when I'm at work. He is kind of a dork and rather dog-like, which is why I like him. He was a teensy scrawny thing with a crusty face (and a prolapsed rectum; so not pretty) a month ago so he has come a long way.
I'm not even a Cat Person. Really! :)
stanley1.jpg
stanley2.jpg
stanley3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use to have all kinds of wild animals in the yard every year but a monster chased them off, she took on a skunk and ran him off and never got sprayed, the bunnies won't come in the yard to eat the clover
Miss Fern my little monster.

fern32.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I use to have all kinds of wild animals in the yard every year but a monster chased them off, she took on a skunk and ran him off and never got sprayed, the bunnies won't come in the yard to eat the clover
Miss Fern my little monster.

View attachment 7787
I never knew a monster could look so loving and inviting. :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
She got you fooled too, the pit bull next door is afraid of her too.
Our guy a bull terrier would supervise our cat's delivery (lol). He became so gentle though this breed is supposed to be violent. He did show those signs in the beginning but later calmed down with all our love. He even got hand fed. He never ate on his own.

rana1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think Bull terriers are such great dogs, there are two at the dog park that love to play with Fern, she wasn't sure of them at first but they let her act like a bully and after awhile she just want to play with them. She was a shelter puppy that has been abused, that the only way she knew how to be safe was to fight first and then ask question. She has become such a loving dog and loves to play in the yard when I'm out garden and wait for the mail man because she knows he got a cookie for her.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
OK so the thread title is animals, not WILD animals. So I'm taking liberty here. About a month ago I took in a litter of 5-week-old feral kittens with severe upper respiratory infections because their eyes and noses kept gluing shut and they would have died otherwise. They all carry the herpes virus, unfortunately. Two are headed off to a rescue in about 10 days, once they get spay/neutered but I decided to keep one - Stanley.
Here he is stalking things (and me) in the back yard. So far he's good about coming when called, he follows the dogs in and out and so stays inside with them when I'm at work. He is kind of a dork and rather dog-like, which is why I like him. He was a teensy scrawny thing with a crusty face (and a prolapsed rectum; so not pretty) a month ago so he has come a long way.
I'm not even a Cat Person. Really! :)
View attachment 7781 View attachment 7782 View attachment 7783
Stanley does look cute.:love: Maybe he could be called Lucky Stanley. Good on you for rescuing him(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I am visiting my sister for a couple of days. I think all her animals have Lucky as a middle name.
image.jpg
Bickie, Toffee and Dot....3 very loved Little Luckys.
image.jpg
Daphne the Rather Large Lucky
image.jpg
And Rex, the very Lithe Lucky.
All very well loved and treasured pets.:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Stanley does look cute.:love: Maybe he could be called Lucky Stanley. Good on you for rescuing him(y)
Thanks, he is a happy little guy. :) His nicknames are Manly Stanley and Stan the Man but if I holler "kiddens!" or "Stanley!" he's the first to come running (because I call them for canned food twice a day.) The other two are Widget, a dark tortie and Chunk, a very chunky, large gray striped kitten. But I'm not letting myself get too attached since they're being taken by Best Buddies rescue in about two weeks.

Long shot here, but does anyone have any ideas for attracting leopard frogs? I had them for a few years but haven't seen them since 2013. I made a larger pond a couple of months ago - still a work in progress- and was hoping they'd come back, but nothing yet. I know I can buy tadpoles online and in some stores but I'd rather they show up naturally, like before. I can get bullfrog tadpoles locally, but there are fish in the pond and a bullfrog will eat them if it gets big enough.
Just took a pic of my pond in the rain. It's roughly 4x8' and almost 3' deep at one end.
pond in rain.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@DeborahJane , Daphne looks like she dwarfs those little dogs! :D I had a Rottweiler named Daphne. She was only about 60 lbs, got her from the shelter so I called her my pocket Rott.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane , Daphne looks like she dwarfs those little dogs! :D I had a Rottweiler named Daphne. She was only about 60 lbs, got her from the shelter so I called her my pocket Rott.

You're right BethB, Daphne does dwarf the little dogs and so does Rex but only in height. Cute name for your rotti. My sister had a rotti called Rotti, very beautiful dog. I'm staying at my sisters for a few days and as I type this there is a picture of Rotti above my head. :love:

Ask a Question