A Garden Created Mainly by Donations, Cuttings and Transplanting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
There is a long tradition, especially in the southern states of the US, of "passalong gardens." Any plant that can be divided, seed saved, or cuttings taken is a candidate to be passed along to another gardener.
And you can tell if a neighborhood is friendly or not by looking at the flower beds. If most of them have the same flowers, there is a lot of passing of plants and conversation over the garden fence!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
When my sister bought their house in 2005, the garden was bare since the previous owner seemed to have abandoned it. My sister's first project was to revitalize the garden by buying bermuda grasses. And then she would ask me to accompany her for a walk around the vicinity to look for plants that we can get cuttings from. To make the story short, the garden became alive again with the plants that we got from the neighborhood... for free.

Reaction score
There is a long tradition, especially in the southern states of the US, of "passalong gardens." Any plant that can be divided, seed saved, or cuttings taken is a candidate to be passed along to another gardener.
And you can tell if a neighborhood is friendly or not by looking at the flower beds. If most of them have the same flowers, there is a lot of passing of plants and conversation over the garden fence!

That is what I liked the most about living in the south ;) My grandma used to do the very same thing with the neighbors :) She gave me several cuttings as well when I was little, but she did that only after she saw i seemed interested in gardening. They all had almost the same plants :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Stunning! And since it was all given and "acquired", it's even more special.
Please, what is the red hedge in the background? That is incredibly beautiful!
I just checked with a knowledgeable gardening friend and the red hedge is Photinia. It really does look impressive and I'm lucky to be able to "borrow" it as a backdrop top my garden...AND I DON'T HAVE TO DO ANY OF THE TRIMMIMNG...BONUS.:)
I've already started passing along the "Passalong Garden" term too Marlingardener. Thank you for that....it is a lovely sentiment.:):love:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow this is a beautiful garden. I love the fact that it is mostly made of donations. It makes it extra special. You must be a good gardener to be able to make all these plants work from trimmings. Good for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I like the phrase "passalong gardens". I believe decades ago this was done in the town I have flower customers. So many people have Trinity plants.

Ask a Question