A beautiful visitor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Why is that, Anette? I think most big moths like this one aren't as nervious and panicky as the butterflies and smaller flying bugs. They don't fly away as fast, and some moths like this one even allow you to touch them :)
I rememeber that when I was a child, I found a moth in our garden and it did let me touch it, so it must be true, they aren't as nervous as butterflies. Of course my moth wasn't as pretty as yours, it was small and black;)
I don't know if it's true, but I heard that if you touch butterfly's wings, it won't be able to fly again. Moths seem less delicate.

Reaction score
Hi Claudine! Yeah moths are less delicate in fact, but I never touch their wings (the design on the can be ruines as easily as the one of the butterflies!), I pet this moth like a puppy :p Mostly on her back and a bit on her head area, it was so weird, lol! I love moths in general, that black moth must have been so beautiful :)

Reaction score
Your pictures are awesome! Both, the male and the female are beautiful. It is amazing to see such creatures so up close and personal isn't it?

Hi Shelly! Actually the female moth pictures were taken by me, but the ones of the male one were taken by someone else. I haven't been that fortunate to see and touch the male Io moth yet, but hopely one day I will :)

Reaction score
I don't know why they fly away, but I do get close enough to some. I think they are very beautiful and they look so soft. I have no trouble with touching butterflies. I just never have a camera handy.

I think butterflies fly away very fast because they're so dleicate, plus their days are numbered once they become butterflies. They mate, produce eggs, attach them to leaves and die after a while. It's such a pitty, I've seen dead butterflies lying on the floor... with perfect wings and all :(

Reaction score
So have I. It is sad that their lives are so short. They are very beautiful creatures and I wish I could see them all year round.

Reaction score
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt if they lived a bit longer, maybe a few months? But then maybe we'd have an over population of butterflies going on... I love them, but I don't fancy their larvae that much :D

Reaction score
Yeah the larvae are not as pretty and we probably would see an overabundance of butterflies if they did live longer. They're still beautiful though.

Reaction score
Hi Shelly! Actually the female moth pictures were taken by me, but the ones of the male one were taken by someone else. I haven't been that fortunate to see and touch the male Io moth yet, but hopely one day I will :)

Oh yes, I understand that but you are very fortunate to have the wonderful photos of the female moth. I just think that they are both beautiful!

Reaction score
Thanks :) I do feel fortunate to have been able to take those pictures, but more than anything the strange but wonderful experience of touching it with my own hands :)

Reaction score
Yeah there is nothing like touching a beautiful creature like a butterfly or moth. I always feel a sense of amazement whenever I can touch something like that.

Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better :) Some people might think I'm crazy, but touching that creature was a really interesting experience. I was blown away; I had no idea they were so friendly! I don't think I'll ever have the chance to touch one of those again :(

Reaction score
You never know you just might get to touch one again. I didn't think I would see butterflies again because they were so scarce, but I saw a lot of them this spring and summer. Life works in mysterious ways.

Reaction score
I'd love to see the male version of this moth :) That would be totally amazing! Being able to take pictures of it! This time I'd take my time to do it, becauise last time I took pictures in such a rush :(

Reaction score
I would love to see the male as well. It's started getting cold here so there aren't any butterflies or moths around. I can't wait until spring and warm weather.

Reaction score
Here is starting to get really cold as well, to think all those little critters will die or have died already make me feel a bit down :( The other nasty things always last long tho, like for example the spiders and centipedes :( They always find places to hide and survive the winter so easily.

Ask a Question