Beautiful Day...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sparkles..., Dec 6, 2017.

1. sparkles...

sparkles...

Not sure what I'm doing. I was interested in finding a garden forum that might answer questions from a novice...even tho I am a bit long in the tooth.

I love everything about gardening, but it's always a surprise when something actually grows.

I live by the ocean in Pismo Beach, CA and I went for a long walk today. The first of many, I hope. At Thanksgiving, my older sister would just zip out of my house and go for a walk. One of my sons said it would be good for me. So I went for a walk...not one a health professional would approve of, considering I stopped at every lovely garden to take a longer look.

We'll see how this gardening blog goes. It was a stunning day...brisk, but clear. Made myself look over the cliffs and watch the waves crash into them. Brought my cane. Not that I need it, but dogs look at me like I might be a nice snack.

I do have a question. Several years ago, I planted a 'knot garden' of little boxwoods. Can anyone tell me the best time to trim these guys? It has finally grown together and it is about a foot high. Simple design, but don't want to hurt it. Thank you in advance.

sparkles..., Dec 6, 2017
    Colin and alp like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. sparkles...

Silentrunning

Welcome Sparkles. A walk is a great way to pass the time. I'm not sure about about the knot garden but I just wanted to jump n and welcome you.

Silentrunning, Dec 6, 2017
    sparkles... and alp like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. sparkles...

MoonShadows

giphy12.gif Welcome!

MoonShadows, Dec 6, 2017
  4. sparkles...

sparkles...

Just so you know...sparkles is a weird name...but I used to work in a craft store and the pockets on the apron I wore became filled with glitter. One day I was in a hurry and my apron dropped spilling copious amounts of glitter over the break room floor...thus, the nickname.

sparkles..., Dec 6, 2017
  5. sparkles...

alp

:D:LOL: Good name!

Googled this

Boxwoods can be trimmed at any time of year, but, for plant health, it's best to avoid shearing in the late fall. The new growth that appears after trimming boxwood bushes may not have time to harden off before frost. Shearing or trimming may be done with hand shears or with electric hedge

more from
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/boxwood/trimming-boxwood-bushes.htm

From RHS UK

Pruning and training

Cut back young hedge plants and topiary by up to one-third in May to encourage bushy growth. Further trimming can be carried out between May and August, as required.

Trim mature hedges and topiary in August. It may be worth noting that although box hedging and topiary can be pruned towards the end of May, pruning at this time may leave the new flush of soft growth vulnerable to weather damage such as leaf scorch, the result of late frosts, drying winds or unseasonably hot sun and, additionally, diseases such as box blight. Pruning later, during August when the new growth has hardened off and slowed down should help minimise leaf damage due to weather conditions or disease and the hedge should remain neat through the winter months.

Old, neglected plants usually respond well to hard pruning in late spring (May) and can be cut back to within 15-30cm (6in-1ft) of the ground.

Propagation

Box can be easily propagated by taking semi-ripe cuttings in early to mid-summer as the new growth is beginning to become firm. Cuttings will root in the open ground if the soil is moist and there is some shade. More reliable results come from placing cuttings in a cold frame or similar environment. A heated propagator will speed the rooting process, and you should see roots after eight weeks, as opposed to up to eight months without heat.

Grow on the cuttings, pinching out the tips regularly. In the autumn plant out into a nursery bed, spacing plants 30-45cm (1ft-18in) apart and grow on for three to four years.

Good idea to take cuttings as Box could be susceptible to Box blight.

Hope it is helpful.

alp, Dec 6, 2017
    sparkles... and MoonShadows like this.
  6. sparkles...

MoonShadows

Good story @sparkles...

Found this reference article https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/boxwood/boxwood-care.htm

In the article, it says: Boxwoods can be trimmed at any time of year, but, for plant health, it's best to avoid shearing in the late fall. The new growth that appears after trimming boxwood bushes may not have time to harden off before frost. Shearing or trimming may be done with hand shears or with electric hedge clippers.

I doubt you have to worry about frost where you live. BTW...we love pictures here and would love to see your knot garden. I had to look that up...didn't know what a knot garden is.

MoonShadows, Dec 6, 2017
  7. sparkles...

alp

@MoonShadows Snap!

We like to help. don't we?

alp, Dec 6, 2017
  8. sparkles...

MoonShadows

:eek: OOPS....guess I was writing while @alp was posting. We both referenced the same article. Well, you know what they say: "Great minds think alike and fools seldom differ." :p

MoonShadows, Dec 6, 2017
    sparkles..., MaryMary and alp like this.
  9. sparkles...

MoonShadows

MoonShadows, Dec 6, 2017
    alp likes this.
  10. sparkles...

alp

You now know how powerful google is! Literally shaping our thinking without us even knowing it.

I remember once upon a time, google search always invariably yielded results for goods for sale on Amazon and ebay .. and of course, the idea of making you part with your money .. Very subliminal..

alp, Dec 6, 2017
    sparkles..., Colin and MoonShadows like this.
  11. sparkles...

Colin Retired.

Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm doing sparkles but my excuse is my age. :):D

A very warm welcome to the forum from me too; I'm a 70 year old gardening novice and already asking lots of basic questions. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin, Dec 6, 2017
  12. sparkles...

Beverly

Beverly, Dec 6, 2017
    sparkles... likes this.
  13. sparkles...

alp

Sparkles .. @Colin works his garden like an enthusiastic 7 year old..

alp, Dec 6, 2017
    Colin, sparkles... and MaryMary like this.
  14. sparkles...

sparkles...

Thank you for the information!!!! So, I guess I'll wait it out...

sparkles..., Dec 6, 2017
  15. sparkles...

sparkles...

I would love to send a picture...if I knew how...my phone takes pictures, but then what do I do to get it to this forum?

sparkles..., Dec 6, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  16. sparkles...

sparkles...

Thank you for your welcome...I'm close to your age...we're the aging hippies!

sparkles..., Dec 6, 2017
    Colin likes this.
  17. sparkles...

sparkles...

I replied, but not sure where my message took off to...I'll figure this out sooner or later...just very nice to chat with people from, literally, everywhere. My hub is very, very ill, so my garden is my sanctuary. Life gets interesting sometimes...

sparkles..., Dec 6, 2017
  18. sparkles...

MaryMary Quite Contrary

Welcome to the forum, sparkles...!! :)

Ah, I had a hunch, so I googled, too. :D A knot garden is also known as a parterre. (y)

You can work out a lot of problems in the garden.
    Sorry to hear he is unwell. :(

An enlightened enthusiastic 7 year old... at least he asks questions and listens to the answers... before he goes to tear it asunder with his shovel!! ;) :ROFLMAO:

MaryMary, Dec 6, 2017
    sparkles... and Colin like this.
  19. sparkles...

Colin Retired.

Hi,

You're most welcome sparkles and there are benefits to being older like we can relax because the young uns don't take us too seriously. :D:) Sorry though to learn you've got problems and I'm sure you'll find members here very supportive so do as I do and just ramble on. Please be aware though that I've only been a forum member since September and already I'm over 450 posts so I must be sad spending so much time at the keyboard but then I did say this forum is addictive. (y)

Thanks alp; yes you've got me well sussed out. :D

This forum is the bee's knees MaryMary when it comes to asking gardening questions however basic the questions are; I've already learned a lot from you members more knowledgeable than I; when I ask a question I take every reply seriously because I'm aware members spend time doing their best to help each other. :):):)

You've just reminded me sparkles; I need my hair cutting at the back because it's starting to tickle my neck; if I start to go blind then it's the front needing cutting and if I start to go deaf it's the sides need cutting; I let my lovely Bron attack it with kitchen scissors because I'm a tight Yorkshireman who hasn't been to see a barber for the last 41 years. They do say the difference between a bad or good haircut is two weeks. I'm definitely looking like an hippie at the moment. :LOL:

Will I be able to attack the garden tomorrow MaryMary; the forecast is poor as usual but as you and alp rightly say I'm definitely enthusiastic; I drive our Skoda Yeti and if it becomes much colder I'll end up looking like a Yeti whilst in the garden?

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin, Dec 6, 2017
    MaryMary likes this.
  20. sparkles...

MaryMary Quite Contrary

If you can, I've no doubt you will. :D (y)

MaryMary, Dec 6, 2017
    Colin likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question