A beautiful visitor

Reaction score
Wow. Those are extremely gorgeous. What a gift that you were able to hold one and get photos of it up close. Could be a once in a lifetime event. I always feel so honored when things like that happen to me.

I REALLY appreciate you showing us the differences with the male and females of this species and the eggs too. Both are very beautiful in their own rights. Such colors!

Thank you, Trellum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
:DMale Io moth looks like a weird, fluffy teddybear with big wings, lol!:D He is kind of cute, even his legs are cute:p. I love how he looks when he he feels threatened, his colors are more than amazing.

Reaction score
LOL, Yeah!!! I love it!!! Those antenae he has are a little too much for me tho :p But yeah, I totally agree with you! He does look like a yellow teddybear :D They're so hairy for a bug!!! I could touch one, and I was shocked to see how hairy those moths are :LOL::love:

Reaction score
Wow. Those are extremely gorgeous. What a gift that you were able to hold one and get photos of it up close. Could be a once in a lifetime event. I always feel so honored when things like that happen to me.

I REALLY appreciate you showing us the differences with the male and females of this species and the eggs too. Both are very beautiful in their own rights. Such colors!

Thank you, Trellum.

You're welcome :) I love this kind of bugs actually, and is a topic I'm really passionate about. They are incredibly friendly animals!!! An unusual trait for a flying bug!!! I felt honoured when this happened, because you don't see this kind of bug during the day.... let alone early in the morning! It was meant to be this way ;)

Reaction score
Those are some really beautiful pictures. I wish I could take pictures like that, but we do see moths like that a lot here and I wish we did.

Reaction score
Thanks :) This was another set of lucky shots. This moth was extremely friendly, I'm not sure if this is the way all Io moths are, or if it was connected to the fact she was old and dying! I certainly appreciate she allowed me to take pictures of her (it was a female, you can tell because the male is yellow) and perpetuate her beauty :love:

Wow. Those photos are stunning. I didn't know that moths were so furry. The yellow male looks like he's covered in feathers. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Reaction score
Oh, the male's coloration is beautiful. I bet the yellow is more vibrant in person than in its pictures. When he looks threatened, the black spots remind me of owl eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I agree they do look like eyes. I didn't notice the first time I looked at the picture. I was admiring the beauty of the moth.

Reaction score
Hi Annette! It's interesting you mention that, actually those ''eyes'' are really important to ward off predators. That's why the moths show it, so the predator thinks is facing a bigger animal and hopely it will just leave! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Luckily they rarely go out during the day! So odd a night creature is so colorful...

Reaction score
Oh, the male's coloration is beautiful. I bet the yellow is more vibrant in person than in its pictures. When he looks threatened, the black spots remind me of owl eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, did you check the amazing antenae? The family doesn't have those... the yellow one is so amazing, but I haven't been lucky enough to see it in person. It must be such an experience... taking photos of the female was quite an experience too.

Reaction score
Wow. Those photos are stunning. I didn't know that moths were so furry. The yellow male looks like he's covered in feathers. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Welcome :) The female is covered by fur-like fuss, but for some reasons my photos couldn't show that so well... plus the female is of a verty intense red, but in the picture looks like she's of a very dark brown :(

Reaction score
Hi Annette! It's interesting you mention that, actually those ''eyes'' are really important to ward off predators. That's why the moths show it, so the predator thinks is facing a bigger animal and hopely it will just leave! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Luckily they rarely go out during the day! So odd a night creature is so colorful...
Yeah it is odd, but beautiful. I wish I could see moths that beautiful up close here. Alas I can't get that close to them even though I think they are very beautiful.

Reaction score
Why is that, Anette? I think most big moths like this one aren't as nervious and panicky as the butterflies and smaller flying bugs. They don't fly away as fast, and some moths like this one even allow you to touch them :)

Reaction score
I don't know why they fly away, but I do get close enough to some. I think they are very beautiful and they look so soft. I have no trouble with touching butterflies. I just never have a camera handy.

Reaction score
Your pictures are awesome! Both, the male and the female are beautiful. It is amazing to see such creatures so up close and personal isn't it?

Ask a Question