My beautiful pumpkin plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I know, I know. Pumpkins are technically fruits, but I think it's more suitable for them to be in the vegetables section, as its mainly eaten as a vegetable.

It's doing amazing! I have about 3 plants in this container, and I'm totally amazed on how it's doing. It has many male flowers that are growing. Over 10 so far!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
One question. Soon, this plant will have to travel on the sunny, brick floor. Will the bricks overheat the leaves, causing it to burn? Should I start thinking of a cover for the ground?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the other day, visiting of of the group homes for the company for an investigation, I noticed off the front of the house near their deck a massive pumpkin plant with 2 yellow flowers on it. Pointing it out to the staff near, he had no clue (that is par for the course) anyway, I figured what happened is someone bought a pumpkin for halloween last year then let it rot down in that area off the deck and in the spring seeds sprouted. It is a huge running one, thank goodness the lawn guys at least did not mow it down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One question. Soon, this plant will have to travel on the sunny, brick floor. Will the bricks overheat the leaves, causing it to burn? Should I start thinking of a cover for the ground?
No, The leaves will shade the bricks, so they don't heat up so much.
Your plant looks very healthy.
Female flowers will follow soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Update:

These plants are doing absolutely amazing! It has many unripe male flowers. I was wondering when females would come in, and to my surprise, I saw my first one! Here is my big baby:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
so in the fall of 2014, got the usual halloween pumpkin. let the thing rot out over on the side. come spring saw babies sprouting up. so put it all in a huge planter with some soil under, and it kept growing and falling out on to the lawn. did not get any pumpkins. did not really care. thought it was funny.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Update:

These plants are doing absolutely amazing! It has many unripe male flowers. I was wondering when females would come in, and to my surprise, I saw my first one! Here is my big baby:

All cucurbitaceae put out male flowers first, (apart from "all-female" varieties, of course) as it increases the prospects for cross-pollination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I admire your pumpkin, yeah, it looks healthy. And being similar to squash, I agree that pumpkin can also be considered more of a vegetable than a fruit. It's sad that our squash had died due to the excessive rains. Our extended garden has been underwater for a week already due to the continual rains. I wonder how our cassava and some other plants there would survive. Maybe the sweet potato vine can endure the flooded garden but not the squash and other vegetables.

Ask a Question