3: Gardening Diaries ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We watered the fruit trees this morning. We give them 10 gallons twice a week, just hoping the apples don't fall off before ripening. I picked cherry tomatoes and cut a zucchini. Lots of cherry tomatoes to share, but that zucchini is mine, all mine!
I have dried tarragon to put in jars this afternoon. The basil, marjoram, oregano and sage are all booming, but the thyme not so much. Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We watered the fruit trees this morning. We give them 10 gallons twice a week, just hoping the apples don't fall off before ripening. I picked cherry tomatoes and cut a zucchini. Lots of cherry tomatoes to share, but that zucchini is mine, all mine!
I have dried tarragon to put in jars this afternoon. The basil, marjoram, oregano and sage are all booming, but the thyme not so much. Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

10 gallons! Whoa! I gave mine half a bucket once every 3 days. Must be very hot your way, @marlingardener ! How do you dry tarragon please? Do you just leave them out in the sun and then bottle them? Or you put oil in the bottle as well? The only thing I have made so far is rosemary oil. I pour some oil into the slow cooker and cook the rosemary overnight and drain the oil into bottle. They said that people living in the Mediterraneans enjoy long life because of rosemary being incorporated in their meals. I love courgettes

upload_2018-8-22_15-50-46.jpeg

Especially when they are thinly sliced and cooked just a point with flesh just translucent! Yummy! How do you prepare it, mg?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all hope all well. Grass seed turned up yesterday big bag far to much seed but they only do it in 20kg bags. I have quite a lot of supermarkets here for a small town - 2 tesco - asda - lidl - aldi - m&s - morrisons - corp and other superstores like b&m etc , I am not complaining but small business must struggle with all the competition.

It started raining at 1pm , manged to whip down to the post office and get some euros before it started to rain again. Need to do some ironing maybe (n) I can't iron for toffee, and start packing while I've got the time.

Can't remember who said it but I find dead heading relaxing and I like get up close to see the plants.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, I dry all my herbs the old fashioned way. I tie them in small bundles and hang them out of the sun and where there is good air circulation (which is a north facing window in my kitchen). Depending on the humidity and size of the leaves, the bundles dry in three days to two weeks. Then I strip off the leaves and put them in small jars. Tarragon, basil, marjoram, oregano, and thyme get dried this way. Parsley I cut, chop, add a little bit of water, and make parsley patties on waxed paper, freeze, and then put in plastic freezer containers. Parsley that is dried tastes like grass!
Generally I prepare courgettes (zucchini) by giving it away. Two people can absorb only so much squash!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, I dry all my herbs the old fashioned way. I tie them in small bundles and hang them out of the sun and where there is good air circulation (which is a north facing window in my kitchen). Depending on the humidity and size of the leaves, the bundles dry in three days to two weeks. Then I strip off the leaves and put them in small jars. Tarragon, basil, marjoram, oregano, and thyme get dried this way. Parsley I cut, chop, add a little bit of water, and make parsley patties on waxed paper, freeze, and then put in plastic freezer containers. Parsley that is dried tastes like grass!
Generally I prepare courgettes (zucchini) by giving it away. Two people can absorb only so much squash!

Thank you for the tips. I'm going to have some courgettes now!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Okay Leeski, I'll try the tarragon/squash fritters. I had never thought to combine the two, but it sounds very "doable".

Make sure you upload your handiwork. You know I'm nosy, don't you! :eek::LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just come back from B&Q and was remaindered that we could no longer get the 10% for anything else, apart from gardening buys! My left eye is still hurting. Hope I can sleep over it tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it is me @Perki that enjoys deadheading , it is a very relaxing job....love it.

Have a fab time in Benidorm......don't forget my wise words of wisdom that I shared with you the other day ;):LOL:;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it is me @Perki that enjoys deadheading , it is a very relaxing job....love it.

Have a fab time in Benidorm......don't forget my wise words of wisdom that I shared with you the other day ;):LOL:;)

Now, what have I missed again? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question