Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Gayfeather.???..Mmmm wonder if that's what I have too. I posted a pic on here recently and asked for an id...didn't get an answer:(:cry:

Took a cutting from one of my Dad's plants...but we have no idea of it's name.:cry:View attachment 41026

Yes, that's the one! I paid £1 for and then there was another horrible looking grass like plant from Poundshop. I hated it so much that I had to rip it out. I didn't even like this one until I saw this man holding a pot of these to his car in the posh nursery! It's quite photogenic. What a memorable name! Easier to remember than Liatris spicata!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that @alp :)

My Dad's is a huge clump...I only have 2 babies in separate pots at the moment.....one began looking a bit sorry for itself, but after loads of TLC....it's looking OK now thankfully.(y)

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have rogue seeds in Easter Star and rogue seeds in Cupcakes..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
0D6C7732-5953-4CB7-BAC5-38E17AA0B6AA.jpeg
9F9FB805-C274-4E76-BC8F-6A66C776F42A.jpeg
3EAB6446-922F-46E5-900F-124A0E9F8BA5.jpeg
316C5ADC-B1AE-4C1F-9A40-B1A8F4071710.jpeg
0CE79A67-26A6-4667-BDCC-5D34954E9018.jpeg
1795CFDF-B6F4-4C06-BA7B-D690F4398AF9.jpeg
F00075D3-7125-425F-864E-CBA078874DEE.jpeg
1E7C9C5C-C09E-411C-AFEE-CB99996E2E0F.jpeg
A beautiful morning here’s a few from now

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Stunning photography, @Zenj ! I bought 2 echinaceas - one orange and one white and paid 50p for the 2 as the lady said the orange one would die. I didn't want to argue with her!:eek::D They are both doing very well. The white one lost 3 stems - broken - and one flower is showing. The orange one was so dry that one leaf is showing!:oops::LOL:

Are the yellow ones verbascum? That's a loooooot of blooms - very nice when they are planted en masse.

Is that a Japanese anemome please? Quite a few of mine died as I refused to plant them on the border. :cry::cry::cry:! I used to have 6 from one big pot, but they just disappeared.

Been watering for an hour. Cut off quite a few yellowed hellebore leaves. I hope I haven't exposed them to an early grave. Now lumps everywhere because of the mossie bites. One awkward one was at the back - on the shoulder blade. Blast the critters!

@Leeski: Love the butterfly. I must try to take snaps of them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kniphofia Tawny King, its beautiful and has really enjoyed the hot / dry weather
DSC00003 (9).JPG

First dahlia - Arabian Night - Helenium Sahin Early
DSC00010 (7).JPG

Lilium Apricot Queen
DSC00008 (10).JPG

Helenium Waltraut
DSC00007 (10).JPG

Veronicastrum Fasination
DSC00003 (10).JPG
DSC00014 (6).JPG

Helenium Moerhiem Beauty - my favourtie
DSC00004 (9).JPG

Part of the border I have recently replanted, starting to fill in now. Penstemon Garnet - sedum Jose aubriene - penstenum rubra behind penstemon - pervoskia somewhere and various other plants. I did plant some allium summer drummer around there no sign of flowers yet . Last year its was just a giant clump of rudbeckia goldstrum which I move just to the left of this picture.
DSC00008 (9).JPG

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp Yes right on both counts Japanese Anemone September Charm and the Vebascum wild type grown from seed that’s just one plant biennial .

I have sown verbascums from seeds - all mixed, but they never looks as upright and impressive like yours. Where did you get your seeds please, @Zenj ?

I had to get rid of my giant verbascum quick. I really don't like them and least of all, popping up everywhere in the garden. It went to the compost bin yesterday. I do like verbascums. But they are all very short and puny.

I don't even have one Japanese anomone flowering. Sad, I bought loads and separated loads. Lost in the weather. I need to buy one of those Moerheim beauty. See it every year and impressed with it.

@Perki I also bought some more delicate kniphorfia, but not one flower. What beautiful flowers you have, @Perki ! The colours are so striking. Veronicastrum Fasination is a most grotesque but interesting flower!
Make sure you post another one when it displays the weirdest for flower form please!

Love penstemons and bought several. But my prized Sour grapes and Mother of Pearl are still sulking. Very annoyed. The heat in the air just doesn't do the flowers any good. Literally sitting there, staring my me in their green or take ages to get their gowns out. Terrible teasers! Laborious let-downers.

My astilbes are all pathetic. Another £2 down the drain for watering. Need to shred all the hellebore leaves. For some reason, I just want to go to bed again. I am cultivating sloth as well. :eek::LOL:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning @alp and all,

Sorry about your plants Alp,:cry: this weather isn't the norm so will get casualties. Last year we lost all our polyanthus but this year we kept on watering them. Some of them are flowering now.

Yesterday had the car MOT and service, i was surprised that there wasn't anything wrong at all.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
Gorgeous pics everyone.....how come you all have healthier plants than my miserable display?? And I'm watering/ feeding them?? Could it be our clay soil that has been baked and is now...rock!!:(:cry:

Did take a final sweep of photos for this month yesterday....will wait until Aug to take some more. Might post some later.
Have a good and restful day.....that includes you too @alp!!:);)(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question